Surprising Old CA Chardonny - 1996 Cambria Katherine's Viney

Well what do we have here! Recently acquired a sizable collection of aged CA half bottles, and this little gem was a pleasant surprise. Dark gold in color with a nice nose of apples, and honey. Actually somewhat fresh with enough acidity to balance the baked apples, cider, honey, and butterscotch flavors. Probably better 5 to 10 years ago, but I came in with low expectations and ended up enjoying this wine way more than i figured I would. Now looking forward to the other whites that came with the collec tion!
20180114_154236.jpg

Drink to the memory and joy of life of the person who had assembled this collection.

Nice sentiments Victor and I appreciate it, but I actually bought the collection from someone. My apologies if it came across the other way when i said acquired!

Strike the word “memory”. pileon

That works!! :slight_smile:

Sorta like a Audouze surprise wine coming back to life…but you may have drank last bottle in existence, as no one would hold these.

Color would have told me DNPIM.

I seem to remember having some Arrowood bottled Katherine’s Vineyard viognier a long time ago, that were just fabulous, at least when young. Not sure if its the same parcel of land.

What else did you get? What bottle is next up?

back in the day, I used to buy the Cambria Katherine’s chard…and also the Cambria Julia’s PN…I think the vineyards were named after Jess Jackson’s daughters…Haven’t seen the Cambria label in years.’

I mainly bought the collection for the reds, which is around 200 half bottles of well stored higher-end cabs from 95-97. Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars (Cask 23 and Fay), Montelena Estate, Staglin, Quintessa, and Jarvis. But the whites have been a really nice surprise. Still haven’t tried tried any of the Talbotts, Jarvis chards, or Testarossa chards (Chalone, and Bien Nacido), but will be doing so soon.

And get this…I literally paid $600 for the whole lot (including a wine fridge)!!! My best wine score ever by a country mile!!