Leroy...can u tell me about this wine?

I bought a couple bottles of this for giggles…but can’t find much info on it other than it could possibly be a burg/gamay blend…Thanx

2002 Maison Leroy Bourgogne-Grand-Ordinaire

U burgs boys r awfully quiet

Don’t know anything about this specific wine but the designation means it could be all Gamay, Pinot Noir or both if I recall correctly.

It’s what we now know as Coteaux Bourguignons. It’s wines made from grapes outside of the traditional CDN/CDB that we know from burgundy. This one is 100% Pinot supposedly.

Sounds schizoid, unless Grand refers to size of the bottle!

I’d tell you but you asked Leroy

This one is 100% Pinot supposedly.

No, I doubt that - most probably incl. Gamay - otherwise it would be called “Bourgogne Pinot noir” …

It’s wines made from grapes outside of the traditional CDN/CDB that we know from burgundy …

Not necessarily, it´s outside “better” Appellations like Volnay, Pommard, Monthelie, Auxey-Duresses etc. … or partially from “within”, but planted with Gamay … (so not entitled to the “better” AOC).

Sure it can also be from farther South like Macon or even Beaujolais … we´ll never know exactly …

What Gerhard said.

Folks may remember that until recently Arnaud Ente used to make a very nice Bourgogne-Grand-Ordinaire from old Gamay vines just behind l’Hopital in Meursault. The last vintage was 2013 IIRC.

Roty used to make a reasonably priced BGO that was available in NYC every year. It was in a lighter style than other Roty wines and pretty decent. I can’t recall the typical blend. Maybe others do.