Tell me about Thibault Liger-Belair...

Anyone have any info on this producer? They have minimal info on their website…I did see the vines in their plot of Richebourg were planted in 1932…but I’d love to hear a little more about them if anyone has any info?

I don’t have much experience with them but they do make a delicious Gruenchers.

I’ve only had their 06 Richebourg once. It was a pretty good Richebourg. The oak was not excessive but noticeable.

Kirk, you will find some here: TN: Thibault Liger-Belair NSG LSG 2008 - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Lovely man who makes delicious wines. I especially like his LSG and Charmes but his whole Burgundy line-up is good. He also makes quite a bit of Beaujolais. I’m not a fan of Gamay so I can’t comment on the wines.

Owns the largest plot of Les Saint Georges, and supposedly makes one of the best.

08 is gorgeous—rich and layered, Nuits backbone.

Definitely overshadowed by the more famous Liger-Belair. They’re not quite the values they were a few years ago (what is, I guess?) but I like the wines a lot. The 09 Clos Vougeot was a genuine thriller, and I have enjoyed multiple vintages of Les Saint Georges and a village Gevrey from a single climat whose name escapes me. The Hautes Cotes de Nuits wines are also very good. Stylewise I would say they don’t go extreme in any one direction.

The lsg at $50-60 was one of the best deals in burgundy!

Well…I broke my SIWBM for 2018 when I found 3 bottles of the 2005 Richebourg available at release price or damn close when compared to the $800+ on WS. I’m guessing these will be wines I open in retirement. I have so little experience with Richebourg.

I have tasted three 02s, blind, over the last several years. One was Pegau-level bretty, one was quite good, and one was fantastic. I think I have one bottle remaining.

Wouldn’t have the highest hopes for vintages back that far, he was much younger then and learning his way I’d assume.

Agree my experience is the 2002 LSG has a stable full of Brett. I haven’t had a clean one yet. The Vosne Reas from 02 is a good wine.

Thibault is a gregarious, large man who is very fun to taste with. I like the wines but stopped buying after the 2010 vintage.

I bought a 06 Richebourg because the DRC Richebourg
has become too expensive for me.

I’m moderately brett-sensitive (Pegau is over the line for me) and recent vintages haven’t presented an issue. My experiences date from 08 forward, with the exception of what was obviously (called the vintage blind - people were a lot more impressed by “04 Red Burgundy” at the table than they shouild have been) 04 Les Saint Georges that was pretty green.

Larry, have you tasted any of his 2005’s?

Unfortunately not recently. I have a 6 pack of LSG buried in my cellar along with other 05s. As you know, that vintage in general still needs time, although I suspect the T L-B LSG would be worth opening soon.

I did sample it on release prior to purchasing, and it showed well, in a riper more tannic style. I liked it enough to buy 6, and it was tasted alongside the Corton, Clos Vougeot and Richebourg. It held its own against much pricier wines.

Please pop one and report back. :slight_smile:

I’ll be waiting another 10+ on The 05 Richebourg…while I have zero experience with the vineyard. I have heard enough folks say it takes 25+ years to come around…so I think patience is needed here.

I tried a 2005 LSG over the summer and it was young young young. Needs a lot of time still.

Picked up 3 bottles of 2008 Richebourg on release for $180/bottle (lucky me). Haven’t tried one yet, since I assume they need a bunch more time. Anyone tasted?

I’m a big fan, both of the wines and the person - a super nice and thoughtful guy.

His Beaujolais is an excellent value and a serious wine

He only started up the winery in ‘01 so issues from ‘02 I wouldn’t take as an indicator of any real problems. Just built an entirely new winery facility as well so definitely would expect no issues.

His Richebourg is excellent, though my favorite is probably the LSG. Makes a terrific Gruenchers, Vosne Aux Reas, etc. A very underrated producer.