TN: 2008 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée

Posted from CellarTracker

Damn
…missed out on this supposed off vintage

Had one a couple of weeks ago. Not bad for $25

All of mine have been fizzy and stunk of diapers.

Thankfully, I’ve not had that issue. At least with the ‘08s

They did a very fine job in this difficult vintage - perfect for drinking over the next 5-10 years (and even I drink it THAT young [cheers.gif] ).

The 2008 Usseglio was really nice and at the price I paid even better. $20 a bottle.

I’ve had a few bad ones, a few good ones. Certainly the most uneven vintage of Pegau for me but also at $25 the cheapest.

Excellent wine. Fantastic price. All of the ones I have had are dominated by sweet fruit and garrigue.

I don’t know. I’ve had some good ones and some bad ones. Everyone has had varying amounts of stinkypoo going on, so, if you like that sort of thing… hitsfan

I´m quite sure: this is a shipping issue -
with one sole exception (not 2008, not from my cellar) I had never a Pegau-bottle with excessive brett …

Yes, Pegau has some brett, but usually in amounts that add to the experience and typicity, not leading to undrinkability and making it undrinkable …
If the brett explodes there is (usually a shipping/storage) reason …

If you want only totally “clean” CdP - please look elsewhere …

I’ve had some '99s that were directly from the stable. Whoa Nelly. I love Pegau, but these were challenging. I haven’t seen that in my '08s yet

Now that is not my cup of tea. Pegau and Usseglio are about as far at the opposite ends of the spectrum as one can get. The same merchant who had these for $25 used to have Usseglio and Clos St. Jean for $15. I bought a few of each in a couple of vintages. I sure wish I’d just bought more of the Pegau instead.

Sadly I have no 2008 Pegau left and only one 2011, and recent prices aren’t anywhere near as attractive.

A3D6AD1E-6C96-4CF8-BB4B-7283B37A242C.jpeg
Having this tonight after a 1 hour decant. A slightly lighter style Pegau. Color is a deep garnet, bit of roast meat, pan fond on the nose waiting to be released. Palate is a carry’s through that roast meat with some black plum, shorter finish.