2011 Rhys "Bearwallow" PN

2011 Rhys “Bearwallow” PN
Medium red with amber at the edge.
Great floral, gummy, hammy nose.
Firm, black fruited, minerally, ferrous taste with a touch of herbs.
Needs a few more years but good quality here.
[90 pts]

TTT

I had this back around Thanksgiving and was underwhelmed. Tasted very one note and ponderous. My previous note from 2015 was similar. Will hold onto my last two bottles and see if they develop. Thanks for the note.

Scott,

Define what you meant by “ponderous”.

TTT

I found the wine boring to the point where I debated even finishing my last glass. Generally speaking, I love Rhys wines, so this was very much the exception in my experience. Original CT note below…

• 2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/21/2017)
    While a well-crafted wine, I didn’t particularly care for it. Light musty nose, followed by dark cherries, but a bit reticent. The fruit is still strong with this wine (more dark cherries) but a bit one note and starting to lean a bit more on the savory side. Started off drinking by itself, but then paired with some Chinese food. I found the bottle a bit tiring after awhile, as the singular note was persistent, but lacking in complexity. I’ll check back in few more years.

Posted from CellarTracker

I dig this wine a lot; of course, I usually enjoy Rhys’s Bearwallow bottling more than others. Scott, my experience is similar to yours, except I had a different outlook for it.

2011 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/5/2017)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours –

NOSE: tart red fruits — cherry seems to stand out; some reserved sweet red fruit aromas; hint of oak; moderately expressive; hint of underbrush after 3 hours.

BODY: clear; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; some fine, drying tannins; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; tart; faint green note; hint of leather; easy drinking; seems a bit reserved — not complex, but, on the other hand, this seems to be tense and waiting to relax; pleasant-enough to drink now, but I think this will improve with additional cellaring. Drink or Hold.

50, 5, 13, 16, 8 = (92+ pts.)

Your note and mine seem to coincide.
One point to consider is that I keep my cellar at 60 degrees (to speed up the aging process somewhat) so my bottle may be more advanced than Scotts’.

TTT

I didn’t really enjoy the '11 bearwallow either.

But Kevin Harvey has stated the vineyard was a mess when they took over and made big changes to farming /etc. We are seeing that quality bump in the last handful of vintages and it’s significant.

For my palate Bearwallow Pinot has not wowed me, but I do have high hopes for the Porcupine. I think this vineyard is better suited for Chardonnay, but time will tell.

I like rather than love Bearwallow. I had no problem with the 11.

I love Rhys, but Bearwallow is my least favorite bottling by a wide margin.

2011 is far and away my last favorite vintage from Rhys. Any time I drink a 2011 it’s an outlier compared to what I am used to from them. I have found that with Bearwallow, Horseshoe & Home.

Funny my notes on four bottles went from really good wine and 93 points to 92 to 90 to last bottle I was unimpressed. Maybe just a shorter lived Pinot looking at the vintage and seeing that the vineyard was getting fixed up after purchase. I love the 2012 and 2013 Bearwallows though!!