2018 Update on Wine Shipping

I wanted to give the Berserkers an update on the status of wine shipping here at the beginning of 2018 and also thank the Berserker community for your input and support over the past year. I’ve been contacted by a large number of you with questions, comments, offers of help and insightful intelligence. Thank you!

WINERY SHIPPING
The logistics of winery shipping are in very good shape. With the Granholm decision as the basis of change, wineries may now ship to nearly every state, save a few in the Bible Belt. My expectation is that over the next 3 or four years, some of these states will open up also.

RETAILER SHIPPING
Due to wholesalers putting pressure on State alcohol agencies, those agencies have spent 2016 and 2017 putting pressure on common carriers to the point that FedEx and UPS have been very aggressive in their commitment to not deliver retailer wines to any but the 14 locations where it is explicitly legal: AK, CA, OR, NV, NM, ID, ND, NE, WY, LA, VA, WV, DC, NH.

That said, many retailers are creative in how they are working to get wine to clients in the wake of this crackdown.

LAWSUITS
Lawsuits challenging discriminatory laws are now working their way through federal court in MO, MI and IL. The goal is to bring a case to the Supreme Court. My guess is that the MI case will progress the fastest. However, it will be a good year to a hear and a half before any of the cases make their way to the point where the state or the plaintiffs are set to appeal to the Supreme Court.

In every case the states are defending their admittedly discriminatory laws by arguing that 1) Granholm was a narrow decision in which the principles non discrimination only apply to producers and products, 2) that because retailer delivery is inherent to what retailers do within a three-tier system and not an exception to three-tier traditions like winery shipping, restrictions against shipments from out-of-state retailers that violate longstanding Commerce Clause jurisprudence are merely part and parcel of an “unquestionably legitimate” three-tier system and therefore allowed under the 21st Amendment.

LEGISLATION
Legislation that would legalize retailer shipping has been filed in New York, Massachusetts and Mississippi. We expect three or four other pieces of legislation to be filed this year. It is absolutely clear that the extent to which any of these bills will be successful is dependent on 1) consumer involvement, 2) media coverage and 3) ongoing lobbying efforts.

CONSUMER INVOLVEMENT
Consumer involvement in the past has been directed and/or aided by Free The Grapes, an organization funded by the wine industry. Free The Grapes does not have an interest in helping consumers gain more access to wine shipments from retailers. In fact, wineries and their representatives have regularly agreed with wholesalers that retailer shipping should be stripped from bills that in their original form would have authorized both winery and retailer shipments.

WineFreedom.org has been formed to help consumer weigh in on retailer shipping issues. In the past 4 months, 1,000+ consumers across the country have joined Wine Freedom with very little promotion other than social media efforts. 2018 will be the year that much more emphasis is put on exposing the WineFreedom.org tools to consumers.

I CANNOT EMPHASIZE NEARLY ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT it is to spread the word about WineFreedom.org among motivated consumers. Currently, at WineFreedom.org, consumers can send emails to lawmakers in NY, MS and MA asking them to support bills in those states. In addition, consumers in every other state where retailer shipping is banned can send emails to their representatives asking them to support expanded shipping rights. IT LITERALLY TAKES LESS THAN 30 SECONDS FOR A CONSUMER TO SEND SUCH A LETTER!!

ENFORCEMENT EFFORTS
Enforcement efforts by state alcohol agencies have and are ramping up. Currently, Illinois and Mississippi are sending out cease and desist orders to retailers across the country. The threat is criminal prosecution, which is not easy for a state to carry out, but not unlikely either. I would not be surprised to see a retailer be ASKED to be sued in federal court by a state in order to get another case in front of a federal court.

THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF WINE RETAILERS
NAWR grew their membership by 40% in 2017. It will grow more in 2018. However, it’s capabilities pale in comparison to wholesalers, who are the primary opponents of consumers receiving wine from out-of-state retailers. In the next few days, a report will be issued that shows that wholesalers have spent over $100,000,000 on campaign contributions to state political candidates and initiatives over the past five election cycles. Consumers and retailers will not fight against this by attempting to outspend for the simple reason that it is not possible.

There we go. I’m happy to answer any questions by the Berserkers. But I want to thank you all once again for your interest in this issue, your input and your help over the past year and beyond. There is A LOT of “institutional knowledge” on this issue among the Berserkers.

If there is one thing that every Berserker can do in 2018 to help the effort to open more states for consumer shipments, it would be to use WineFreedom.org to send letters to your representatives, to sign up for alerts and to promote WineFreedom.org to your friend via social media and email.

Tom Wark,
National Association of Wine Retailers

If we live in one of the 14 states where everything is good, is there anything we can do to help?

Thanks, Tom. That’s really helpful – a great, concise summary of the many fronts in this battle.

Scott,

Absolutely. It’s simple. Point your friends, colleagues, and social media acquaintances who are wine lovers to WineFreedom.org and ask them to do two things: 1) Take 30 seconds to send an email to their representative and 2) sign up for alerts. The best place at WineFreedom to send folks is here: Take Action - Wine Freedom

It literally takes 30 seconds or less to send an email to a person’s state representatives.

Thanks, Scott.

Tom…

Tom-
I am still receiving deliveries via Fedex from several retailers with deliveries expected this week. How are these retailers circumventing? Are they just taking a chance?
Thanks for your thoughts above on this important issue.

I got two deliveries from retailers as well in Colorado in just the last week.

A request/suggestion: Could we keep specifics on which retailers are shipping to problem states off the public forum and put them in PM? Especially the details on how they are getting around the restrictions?

Dennis, not knowing the retailer nor their logistics solution, it’s impossible for me to say exactly how a retailer ships to Colorado, though I am aware of a few different ways it could be done. And to be perfectly honest with you, if I knew precisely how they are shipping to you, I probably wouldn’t explain it here in an open forum for a couple reasons: 1) That transaction is between the buyer and seller and 2) currently there is a great deal of pressure being put on retailers with stings and I wouldn’t want to do anything to extend that problem.

I hope this response isn’t offensive or too evasive.

Tom

This is a very good idea.

But…here’s what I can say. Wine retailers have been dealing with discriminatory wine shipping laws and pressure put on them by regulatory agencies and wholesalers for many years. Many are absolutely dedicated to poking fingers in people’s eyes and making herculean efforts to serve their dedicated customers and clients.

I don’t know how I’ve missed this in the past, but I always thought WA state was good in this respect. I didn’t realize we are on the do not ship to states. Just signed up - thanks!

As a side note, I do mostly buy locally, but I did make a couple out of state purchases last year. Both from CA retailers and received shipments without issue. How often are shipments flagged/cancelled by FedEx and UPS? Are there some retailers that are targeted more often? Are there specific destination states that are targeted more often? I have recently been looking at a purchase from Chambers St, but now I’m not so sure… I don’t want to get caught in a shipping fiasco…

OK - just missed the other posts while typing mine.

I don’t want to cause any issues. If anyone has some insight to share via PM, I’m all ears. Thanks

Ryan,

In most cases, shipments are not stopped in transit, but rather stopped from even being picked up at the retailer. Regarding Chambers, I’d simply give them a call and ask. They can advise you well.

Tom…

I totally get it. Thought maybe there was a workaround you could discuss, but I get your points. THanks.

I get it and did not mention the two retailers specifically for this reason.

Received an email from an assistant to my state representative. I do not recall sending a previous message, but here was the response I got from the message sent out via winefreedom.org earlier this morning:

"Thank you for your second message on this issue. Rep. Cody has read both messages and asked me to look into this issue for you. It seems like wineries can ship but I have yet to find correlating information and explanations on out of state wine retailers. I have put in an inquiry to the Liquor and Cannabis Board and am waiting for a response.

I will be in touch with more information as it becomes available."

Somewhat encouraging… but I’m guessing the LCB is not going to be enthusiastic or responsive.

Tom - any suggestions on a follow up message that would not let her “punt” to an agency that will not support this effort?

Ryan,

As an aside, I guess we all have to get used to referring to things as the “Alcohol and Cannabis” Commission.

What to tell your representative (Washington State, correct?) is that only out-of-state wineries are eligible to apply for a Washington Direct Shipping Permit. As a result, you can’t get shipments from out-of-state retailers because they can’t ship legally. The upshot of this is that if a wine is not available locally or from an out-of-state winery (like ALL imported wines), you are out of luck. What you are looking for is a simple change in the law to allow retailers from out-of-state to obtain a permit so that you can purchase from them on the same basis you purchase from out of state wineries.

And here is something important to mention: You buy much of your wine from local sources and always will for the sake of convenience. But sometimes what you want is simply not available locally or via wineries shipping direct.

My email is tom@nawr.org. Feel free to reach out directly if there is any way I can help.

Tom…

Thank you for the update Tom!

Hate to say this but the more this goes on the more I am narrowing my retailer purchases to NJ and NY, worst it comes to I can drive for a pick up if it cannot be shipped.

By the way, NAWR believes that NJ is among the states that is primed to look at a wine shipping law allowing its consumers to receive shipments from out-of-state retailers and will be exploring it early in the year.

What is the status of retailers from non-14 states being able to ship TO the 14? Is that legal or illegal?