Wine Scene in Boston/Cambridge?

Hi all! I recently accepted a new job in Cambridge (near Central Square) and will be moving up to the area in the coming weeks (or in a few months – still figuring out details). So seeking advice on anything and everything!!!

Here are a few questions/topics. If any locals can help, that would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!

1. Food and wine scene, particularly about restaurants with good somms and interesting wine lists?
  2. Any neighborhoods (in Cambridge or Boston) better than others for finding good food and drink that may also be a fun place to live? (bonus points for not being overrun with students)
  3. What’s up with shipping laws? Shipments from wineries are OK, but not from out-of-state retailers? I saw there was some hearings to change that last Fall, but haven’t seen any updates – anyone have insight into the status of that?
  4. I know there are BYOB restrictions and some have been lifted, so what’s corkage at local restaurants like?
  5. What are the best (or interesting) wine shops to check out?

I’ll keep an eye on the Offline folder once I get up there, would love to meet some fellow wine geeks once I settle in! Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Corkage is very difficult in that region, but perhaps laws are slightly liberalizing.

It was a generation ago, but there was a liquor store in Central Sq. that used to give us student discounts on booze.

That was awesome.

But when we needed industrial quantities for a party or something, we’d normally hit the road to New Hampshire, which was like the land of milk and honey (we could even purchase on Sundays!).

You will be close to the The Wine and Cheese Cask in Somerville. Used to be a great place to buy (at least French, Italian, Spanish, and German) wine and try cheese. I would always visit on regular work trips to the area. They had other gourmet-ish/artisanal food items as well. Someone who lives there now can comment if it’s still good.

Other wine stores I used to go to regularly in the Boston area are Marty’s and Martignelli’s. And I have a close friend who is fond of Gordon’s.

No idea, but congrats on the new job! :smiley:

I liked Bauer Wine & Spirits in Back Bay the last time I was out there [cheers.gif]

Welcome to town.

Some thoughts below. Note my wine preferences lean toward the classics, not hipster wines.

1. Food and wine scene, particularly about restaurants with good somms and interesting wine lists?

High-end: L’Espalier, Menton

Great wine list: BISq, Bistro du Midi, Craigie on Main, Grill 23 (probably best in city), Troquet

Good BTG: Alden & Harlow, haley.henry, Spoke Wine Bar, Waypoint

I’m a big fan of our oyster bars and the best ones have excellent wine lists too. In order of preference: Neptune, Select, B&G. Row 34 is also very good but more of a beer-focused menu. I don’t recommend ICOB.

1. Any neighborhoods (in Cambridge or Boston) better than others for finding good food and drink that may also be a fun place to live? (bonus points for not being overrun with students)

Best single 'hood for food is probably still the South End (in Boston), but the most interesting restaurants these days are spread throughout Cambridge and Somerville.

1. What’s up with shipping laws? Shipments from wineries are OK, but not from out-of-state retailers? I saw there was some hearings to change that last Fall, but haven’t seen any updates – anyone have insight into the status of that?

I don’t know the actual status of the laws but I have no problem shipping from retailers or wineries. Sometimes they need to use a third party shipper.

1. I know there are BYOB restrictions and some have been lifted, so what’s corkage at local restaurants like?

There is essentially no BYOB. The new BYOB law allows small restaurants w/o a liquor license in underserved neighborhoods (as measured by a lack of liquor licenses) to offer BYOB. I’ve never been to such a place.

1. What are the best (or interesting) wine shops to check out?

Brix (Fidi and South End), Federal (Fidi), Gordon’s (DTX but there’s an even better/larger one outside the city in Waltham).

And now the South End is the place for food? When my buddy lived there twenty years ago, this was our joint in the South End https://www.yelp.com/biz/waltham-tavern-boston . It has nothing to do with wine, I haven’t been to Boston in over a decade, and I’m sure the good folks on the South End have found other means to find their oxycontin, but I wanted to take the opportunity to remember the greatest bar I have ever been to. Raise one to Rose, even if you didn’t know her.

1 Like

As others have noted, BYOB is basically non-existent. They passed a law to allow it in certain outlying neighborhoods, but it’s so restrictive that almost no restaurants qualified. This has a big effect on the wine culture, which while present doesn’t seem as exciting (in terms of meetups) as DC, New York, SF, etc.

But it’s not all bad! The stores are quite good. Gordon’s is a big one. Their new downtown location is really nice (though not as large as Waltham). Marty’s and Federal are other stalwarts. Blanchard’s can have nice finds. And then there are lots of smaller, neighborhood stores that can be good.

Shipping is hit or miss. Some stores ship. Some don’t. Sometimes you need to use a third party. But you can usually get what you need, one way or the other.

Welcome!

Alicia- Congrats on the new job.

Tangent- I would find it depressing to live in a city where byob was a universal no-go.
It would greatly impact the way I dine, entertain, etc. Not sure I could do it.
I can count on one hand the number of bottles I’ve bought off wine lists around ATL in the past 5-10years.
Admittedly, a first-world problem, but byob is huge to me.

I moved to Bahston a few years ago. I have found the wine scene here to pale in comparison to NY. The food scene is better than it used to be, but Portland, ME and NYC blow it away.

Maybe the Boston peeps should do an offline. There are a few places that will do corkage, but very few and they keep it under wraps. (Usually, buy a bottle, bring a bottle).

Troquet, Craigie on Main, and others are great.

It would be good to make new wine friends in Bahston.

I love Oleana for their wine list and food.

Welcome! I’ve lived in the area for the past 10 years, currently in Brookline but have lived in Cambridge before. Here are some answers to your questions below. If you ever want to get a tasting group together let me know.

Also, Alicia, I see that you are from Arlington, VA. Any chance that you know my college pal Brett Chappell? He has long been in the DC wine scene and now works at Unwined in Alexandria.

I’m game. There is a Boston OL group but it meets so infrequently. Would like to have more opportunities. I know a few places that allow corkage.

Count me in! I live in the City and am usually game!

Hi all … sorry it took me a bit to get back in – these suggestions are great! please keep 'em coming!

Steve, I’m afraid I don’t know Brett, but I’m familiar with the shop!

And definitely count me in for a tasting group or offline as soon as I get up there. Once I know a bit more about my timing, I’ll be sure to let you know!

Les Zygomate and The Butcher Shop.

Steve - I have been enjoying your comment about “I live in the city.” In San Francisco and NYC, they say “in the city.” Traditionally, at least when I was there for 45 years of my life, people refer to Boston as “In Town.” It’s a curious difference, but now that I make my primary home in CA, I notice the difference.

I would be interested to know more about what the Portland, ME food/wine scene is like. Any particular venues? My cousin is there, and I will likely be there soon.

Hope you are having a wicked awesome time in Boston. [cheers.gif]

This is my 'hood. Million+ dollar condos now. Neighborhood has changed, for better and worse.

Grew up in Boston area, lots of good wine shops and restaurants, most listed above. Troquet, Craigie on Main, Zygomates, Deuxave on Mass Ave., Mooo, La Morra in Brookline, all favorites of mine. SInce the opened up shipping to MA, no problem getting wine directly from wineries, shops outside MA more of a problem. Boston Wine Festival at the Boston Harbor Hotel is great way to meet winemakers. Runs from January through March. Lots of great wine bars as well around town, let me know if you’re u for a wine crawl.