2008 Dauvissat Clos

The other day opened one of my bottles of 2008 Dauvissat Clos…dead. When you look up Premature Oxidation in the dictionary there is a photo of this bottle. So, for any of you who have taken comfort in hearing that Chablis is relatively spared (aside from Fevre), or that it is not as much of a problem nowadays, it just ain’t so.

Ugh. I have a bottle of this that’s been staring at me for a while. I may roll the dice soon.

Bummer. I have some 2007 La Forest from Dauvissat. Opened two last year, one was drinkable but slightly oxidized, the other was not advanced at all.

Sorry to hear about that. Chablis is hands down my favorite and I have quite a bit cellaring. However, outside of Raveneau, I stay ahead of the premox curve as best I can. So, my earliest bottles are 2010. Also, I drink Fevre and Louis Michel even earlier . Dauvissat I will let go a little further. I dip into CT and Don Cornwall’s site from time to time for premox evidence. Fortunately, I enjoy young, say five to eight year old, Chablis for its vigor and cut. The 14’s have been wonderful. If I had a choice though I would age some of it further.

A shame. Any reports on the 2010s? Sitting on one bottle of Clos and don’t know when to open it.

Robert–bumped into Mr MCarthy yesterday and he told me about that bottle as well.

As you know, I have 10-12 cases of Dauvissat going back now to 2002. I’ve mostly been spared any premox (in fact the opposite is the primary problem. wines are often pretty closed and reductive and you have to remember to give them plenty of air.)

However, I had a couple of advanced bottles of 2008 about a year ago, and so pulled all of my 08’s out to consume in the near future. Then the next couple of bottles were pristine, so I backed off. I suspect it’s time to march ahead.

Could it be 2008? We have been drinking the 2007’s from a whole case bought in 2010. All still good and the remaining 5 bottles show no color change.

This is all-the-more tragic because, in its infancy, 2008 Dauvissat Clos was among the finest young Chablis I’ve ever had.

Yes I think it’s 2008. My 2007’s have been stellar. I personally haven’t had problems with any other Dauvissat vintage (my fingers are currently tightly crossed.)

I poured a 2007 Dauvissat les Preuses down the drain a couple weeks ago it had such bad premox. Sad with such great wines.

08 and 09 were so premoxed in a single blind Chablis lineup at Don’s Premox Assessment dinners that I pegged them as the Fevre. This year I’m going to call the obviously premoxed one as the Dauvissat Clos. The 14 are so brilliant and with so much acidity it would be a shame if they ended up premoxed also.

Now that Fevre has eschewed cork I’m hopeful that the curse will be lifted.

I’m 3/4 of the way thru a case of ‘08 Fevre’ Preuses and every one has been pristine. Such is the animal premox. That or I’ve been living right. :wink:

Robert,

The simple fact is that anything sealed under cork has a chance of being oxidised, not just white Burgundy. I opened a 2004 Grand Cru Alsace Riesling, lovingly cellared properly since release, last week. It was completely shot. A '12 Barolo over the weekend was oxidised because the cork hadn’t done its job. The replacement bottle was marvelous, but it is very frustrating.

Do you buy wines sealed with screwcap?

Cheers
Jeremy

I also had a pox’ed bottle of this recently. Damn shame.

I have had to dump many many bottles of premoxed Dauvissats over the last several years going back to 2000s. I recall one incredibly frustrating day when the first 3 bottles of '02 Clos I opened were dead and I became determined to keep opening bottles until I found a good one which I did on my fourth try. It was spectacular and made me very sad. This was about 2 years ago. I gave up on Dauvissat after that and will never buy a bottle of theirs again.

One of the greatest young Chablis of my life, incredibly precise. Unfortunately the last few bottles were not showing well.

More han 50 % of my Dauvissat’s were premoxed ! Beware

Until recently I thought Chablis was less prone to premox than other White Burgundy but a string of premoxed Chablis has changed my opinion.

I’m willing to give them 1-2 years from purchase/release…but no more. I’ll be drinking most of my 2014’s this summer…and my 2015’s by next summer.