Bottle Shape - why?

And how?

Don’t get me wrong - I like cradling my treasured bottles…but still, WTF.
F711DF05-748C-4185-A23D-B65B2124F513.jpeg

Just keep pouring until it’s gone?

Bury in dirt/sand to hold it upright? Have a servant keep it in his/her hands at all times, ready to pour a glass for you?

This looks like a problem for a Greek history expert, or Patrick McGovern…

Riedel probably sells a stand for it . . . hilarious picture. How’s the wine?

It’s cava! (Pretty damn awesome cava) Stick it in a bucket with ice/water & it’ll be fine.

It’s $90 Cava, so it’s only meant to stay in that rack.

I think I read in Margaret Visser’s “The Rituals of Dinner” that sometimes ancient cups did not have bases - i.e. you couldn’t safely put them down until you had completely drunk the contents - and that this was intentional for obvious reasons [wink.gif]. This looks like the same idea, and one that I thoroughly support

(I don’t have the book to hand and am too lazy to verify this reference)

Wait, maybe it’s like a Weeble!

This! ATM is one of my favorite Cava producers and Kripta is pretty damn impressive, although I find their less expensive bubblies offering almost same level of quality for half the price.

I can pretty much guarantee that the number of times someone has absentmindedly tried to set the bottle down in an upright position is not zero.

I like that! pour off bubbly 'till its gone to as many people as necessary. No need to set it down ever.

I don’t care how good it is. No way I’ll ever buy something in that bottle shape.

The producer’s website says the bottle is supposed to be reminiscent of a Roman amphorae. http://agustitorellomata.com/kripta-en/?lang=en

Artistic, maybe. Practical, no.

In the Victorian period, they made port decanters with round bottoms that could not stand on there own. They were held up by a small stand. The idea was that the host would keep the stand near him when he passed the bottle around to his guests. That way, no one could hold on to the port rather than pass it on.

That is an absolutely absurd bottle design! Glad you posted this…I’d have never imagined anyone company would produce a bottle with that shape. Wow. Ridiculous.

It seems blatantly obvious to me that it’s meant for the ice bucket.

Think how much easier that would be to shove back in the ice.

I mean, who leaves a bottle of champagne sitting on a table?

champagne.gif

Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down!

Lol - didn’t buy it.
It was around $70-80 I think…and it didn’t come with a stand…or a butler…

Probably you should have! It’s one of the best Cavas out there, yet selling at less than half of the top wines by Recaredo or Gramona.

Haven’t seen that bottle shape yet, will have to keep my eye out. Pretty cool