We did Robert Parker's dream dinner: Sushi and Rhone (except it's Jamet/Allemand)

Kinda. No magnums of 2007 CDP and only 3 pieces of sushi to be exact and all northern rhone.

We went to OOtoro for dinner last night. A chinese owned Japanese restaurant heavily catering to the chinese palate for MORE TORO, MORE UNI, MORE WAGYU (hence the name OOTORO). Relatively disappointing dinner as the food was very rushed and haphazardly put together (especially at the price point) but their use of lots of meaty/savory flavors went very well with the wines. More cooked dishes than raw and much of it grilled, but even the raw dishes went well due to their implementation of different savory sauces. Who knew Shirako would go so well with 97 Brune? The saline from it really amped up the earthy herbaceous nature of the brune. Certainly not traditional japanese preparation by any means.

I blinded the 14 Allemand SS as Allemand SS is probably the only wine in existence GOLDEN8WINES has not had. Showed marvelously, best 14 N. Rhone I’ve tried by a country mile

• 1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (1/5/2018)
    Like a wavelength the nose changed all night, it’d get herbacious then meaty then dark fruit pops and finally it settled into this glorious mix of a wild forest stew - a conglomeration of all the things previously into one delicious smelling package. On the palate it was structured and youthful, full of tannin and bursting with secondary notes of cured meat and saline. Really unique expression of wine.
  • 1998 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (1/5/2018)
    sadly a tired bottle, didn’t show much complexity or lift like prior bottles which have been incredible. Color wise it was brownish compared to the 97 brune and 99 CR. Still drinkable, just doesn’t pop.
  • 1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (1/5/2018)
    Needed about 2 hours to shine, initially really shy and short on the palate. It then becomes really expressive with loads of black pepper and smoked meat on the nose and the palate is deep and long with dark earthy fruit. Still a brawny tannic wine. Palate still showing a touch shy even a couple hours in as the finish is clipped so i’d hold the bottles you have, but it’s ready for the long haul.
  • 2014 Thierry Allemand Cornas Sans Soufre - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (1/5/2018)
    Needed about a hour to blow off some stink but it blossomed into a piercing violet fruit and white pepper explosion on the nose. You stick your face into the glass and the fragrance is so perfumed and intense, it’s distinctively syrah, but unlike any other syrah.

The palate is obviously very young and primary but still lip smacking delicious and easy to drink because of the lift from the acid mixed in with that incredible concentration of dark purple fruit. What a wine. I don’t think any 2014 N. Rhone could be better than this. Amazing how Thierry got so much fruit and extraction out of the vintage. The reynard is delicious in 14 but the SS is a giant step up.

Cool notes. The 99 Jamet is consistent with my note from the cellar last year, which also said it’s delicious now, but has years to go.

That is too bad the 1998 Jamet did not show for you. The two times I have opened a bottle this past year, it has been beautiful. It actually was my wine of the night during one tasting in a line up with some really solid hitters. Color me jelly about the Allemand, I have never tried the sans soufre bottling.

It certainly seems that there are different batches of the 98 Jamet out there (and different labels too, I think?). I had a couple from the same source last year and my experience was closer to Charlie’s than Robert’s. The first was thoroughly knackered, the second just undistinguished. So it goes…

Sounds like a fun night.

yeah different labels. But I had another one with the same label a couple months ago that was ROCKIN

I just picked up a couple 98 Jamet with the old style label. Hopefully I got a good batch. Helpful notes.

This one and the last one I had were both the late release labels

So you did Parker’s dream, except a different year, different wine, and different format. And barely any sushi. Got it. [snort.gif] neener newhere

basically [snort.gif]

cf. 2007 CdP is disgusting - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Thanks for the TN, my kind of wines.

I also don’t think the 98 Jamet’s performance is a function of the kind of label, but more on the roll of the dice, regardless of label.

Good to see that the 99 Jamet is in a good trajectory.

‘we did Parker’s sushi and Rhone dinner, but actually not at all because it was a completely different region, vintage, and style…and format, but otherwise, totally the same!’

That’s the joke

It’s hilarious.

93 pts

On the A So scale?

Good joke plus Northern Rhone sushi. Which ones might those be?

You have to diagram it for Todder.

the only point scale that matters

No Juge?