TN: 1973 Rivera Castel del Monte (Italy, Puglia, Castel del Monte)

• 1973 Rivera Castel del Monte Castel del Monte - Italy, Puglia, Castel del Monte (11/19/2017)
    Superb showing, exciting; guessing this was mostly/all Aglianico. Cork came out in one piece, fill was solid. But the initial enthusiasm waned a bit as the first ounce was poured to the glass - profound, dank earth aromas eclipsed any other suggestion of aroma. After several minutes of active swirling, I sensed some light on the other side of the tunnel, so we poured our glasses and swirled them over the next hour watching as it opened to reveal a lovely core of fruit. The off-putting aromas had completely faded by hour two, and this was all about place and variety. Tremendous freshness and structure, still, and likely to live on another 10 years, but I doubt it could improve. One of the more exciting wines I’ve had this year. Acquired at auction just over a year ago, I really had little hope at all it would be alive, let alone fantastic. A needle in a haystack. 12,5% abv., highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

Fascinating; but it seems that the grape in Castel del Monte is Nero di Troia/Uva di Troia.

Hi, Cole, this might help Castel del Monte DOC » Italian Wine Central

thanks for reading

This source seems to indicate other grapes, at least for the Falcone bottling: Kyle Phillips's Italian Wine Review (IWR): Rivera Il Falcone: A Vertical Spanning More Than 50 years.

Well, this is not the Falcone bottling. It was labeled only as Dry Red Table Wine, there was no back label, someone carried it back. I’m glad they never got around to drinking it. The Troia wines I’ve had have never hit me with 50 year ageability before. That said, I’m still sitting on Rivera’s 2003 Nero di Troia, which I’ll probably open in the next few years.

I’ll be asking them (all three generations will likely be at this year’s VinItaly), but I’ll go with Aglianico as the variety that could make it this long, and have another ten years to go; I’ll report back :smiley:

cheers

Thanks

If my memory serves me well, isn’t this also the source for some of Italy’s greatest Roses?

I seem to remember having a string of Castel del Monte Roses back in the 80s that were just breathtaking -

update: after trading a few emails with Sebastiano de Corato, I’ve found out more about this 1973 Dry Red Table Wine.

It was produced with the intention of early consumption, “Fermentation was made in open glass-lined cement vats with shorter maceration to avoid over-extracting Nero di Troia tannins and ageing in standard glass-lined cement vats. No oak ageing was involved in that wine.” The wine was thought to have a shelf life of 4-6 years, or at least this is how it was marketed.

The blend then (today’s/current bottling, which has been given a name, RUPÌCOLO, sees the addition of 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, a practice they began less than 10 years ago) was much as it is today, with the majority of the wine made from Montepulciano variety, with a lesser amount of Nero di Troia.

Which makes the experience I (and Pat Martin) had even more astounding. How this made it 45 years is a testament to the soil, grapes and care that was given way back when, and all for a wine that probably sold for $2-$3 at the time.

A really fun ride on the way back machine.

45 years is a testament to the soil, grapes and care that was given way back when, and all for a wine that probably sold for $2-$3 at the time.

That’s so crazy cool.

Thank you for the update. I love reading your notes.

Enjoyed reading this TN Tim, and Castel del Monte wine / and Nero di Troia grape were exciting discoveries a few years back. Rivera Il Falcone is a wine of great personality for a modest price, and has the structure to improve and hold for a good few years, though I’m not sure I would have put money on it lasting 45 years, let alone an ‘earlier drinking’ version!

I did also buy some of the Puer Apulae, which was so severe on opening the first bottle, that I’ve put the other couple of bottles away. It felt like it might be ready in 2-3 generations’ time.

Ian, I found this interesting. I had to read it twice (probably just me), but when it clicked, it clicked. Their progress with the Nero di Troia grape - from severe to more gentle - is to be commended. Perhaps more so for how they went about it. I hope you find it as interesting as I did. cheers

from Sebastiano "Nero di Troia, also known as Uva di Troia, ranks third among native grape varieties in Puglia in quantity of hectares planted (ca 1,800 ha), coming after Negroamaro and Primitivo. It is also the third native red variety to achieve deeper appreciation, and better attention in the marketplace, by being produced as a 100% varietal.
Negroamaro, grown in the provinces of Brindisi and Lecce, is the predominant grape in all of the denomination wines of the Salentine peninsula, while Primitivo characterises the wines in the province of Taranto. Nero di Troia, on the other hand, is centred on the province of Foggia and the northern Bari area. Puglia can thus boast a trinity of red grape varieties that together offer a rich patrimony of wine diversity and complexity.

Origins
The origins of Nero di Troia are not completely clear, the few scientific facts outweighed by not a few myths. The name itself provides the first evidence, or the first false step. The name is supposedly connected to the band of exiles, led by the Greek hero Diomedes, who fled the destruction of Troy, as recounted in Homer, and disembarked on the bank of the river Ofanto, on the Tavoliere plain.
Up to this point, the legend, like all legends, contains a grain of truth. The theory of an Adriatic origin for the variety does seem to be true, as shown by research by ampelographical experts of the calibre of Attilio Scienza of the University of Milano. Haplotype frequency analysis, in fact, has demonstrated that the Nero di Troia is genetically close to a group of varieties belonging to the Adriatic viticultural region. Even the name may derive from an Albanian site, the city of Cruja, which is translated locally as “Troia.”

Characteristics
From the point of view of its growth traits (phenology), Nero di Troia can be classified as late developing, especially regarding fruit maturation (mid- to late-October). In this, it is different from the other two Puglia red varieties, Negroamaro and in particular Primitivo, both decidedly early ripeners (Primitivo in late August and Negroamaro in mid-September).
The Nero di Troia displays marked diversity of ampelographical traits, due in particular to unwise methods of propagation relying on ungrafted stock to boost yields. Two different cultivars can be distinguished in the vineyards, although for lack of proper research they cannot properly be defined as separate clones: the ruvese presents a tight-packed cluster with large berries; it is the most widely-grown and was preferred in the past for its high yield per hectare. The second type, the canosina, has a smaller berry (ad acino piccolo) and a more open cluster; perhaps the more ancient of the two, its lighter yield has made it less widely planted today. But research and hopes for high-quality wine production are focusing on this latter cultivar, and Rivera has been working for many years with Prof. Attilio Scienza on a programme to rehabilitate this biotype, with its impressive qualities. A vineyard currently amounting to 6,4 hectares has been planted to it.
Vinified, Nero di Troia shows lively colour; an elegant, crisp nose typically hinting of violets; a palate that while not high in acidity is rich in polyphenols, in particular with tannins that can be quite pronounced if the fruit is not fully ripe. The small-berried biotype has a high ratio of skin to pulp and a more pronounced fleshiness, characteristics contributing to a later harvest date and better overall ripeness. The wine thus has a darker colour and very smooth tannins.
Production
Optimal conditions are rarely encountered in the average vineyard, and thus the resultant astringency of the Nero di Troia tannins is traditionally softened by blending with other grapes. This practice is recognized in all of the wine denominations of north-central Puglia that utilize Nero di Troia. Traditional practice in the DOC Castel del Monte utilises Montepulciano to blunt the edge of Nero di Troia, so much so that it was customary to plant in the vineyards one row of Montepulciano for every three of Nero di Troia. Rivera has been producing Il Falcone Castel del Monte Riserva DOC since 1971 -and soon-to-be-released 2011 vintage as DOCG- using this traditional blend profile, which marries increased roundedness and softness to impressive structure and excellent ageing capacity. If a softer, more approachable wine is desired, the proportion of Nero di Troia and Montepulciano is traditionally reversed, emphasising the latter, as Rivera does with Rupìcolo.
Over the last 18-20 years, thanks also to Rivera’s experimentation, monovarietal Nero di Troia wines are being produced that no longer need help from Montepulciano and which can therefore confidently express the characteristics of that variety, resulting in wines of significant complexity and distinctiveness, such as Puer Apuliae, for example, but also wines such as Violante, crisp, refreshing, and aromatic.
The recovery of the Nero di Troia ad acino piccolo and the use of appropriate winemaking practices aimed at optimizing its fruitiness and smoothing its tannins show every sign of being the right direction for the rediscovery of this grape variety."