Krug and Leroy

A couple of very nice bottles on a low-key NYE.

Happy New Year to all.

2002 Krug: Super complex and engaging nose with whiffs of smoke, ginger, aniseed, preserved citrus, grilled nuts and bread. It is explosive in the mouth, with the usual Krug power and a core of sublime fruit. It builds through the palate finishing with superb cut. The finish is all lemon and mineral and length is phenomenal.

1969 Maison Leroy Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru: Fully mature and somewhere near its apogee. Highly perfumed nose of strawberries, damp earth, smoked meats and decaying leaves. It is full, sweet and vinous in the mouth with a sensual silky feel against the gums. It is a delicate wine but possessing good depth and persistence. A joy to drink.

Thanks for notes!
Especially the Krug.
Now I know what to open at midnight.
champagne.gif

Nice notes. The first great red Burgundy I ever tasted was a 1969. Always had a soft spot for the vintage.

Happy new year, Jeremy.

yes, Happy New Year. Will the new World see you this year?

Happy new year!

Happy 2018 …

I finished mine with friends and we had several great wines :
Champagne Pol Roger Winston Churchill 1993
Jurançon Clos Joliette 1971 (dry and one of the youngest 1971 I ever had)

Rousseau Clos St-Jacques 2008 (starting its life)
Angerville Volnay Clos des Ducs 1999 (idem)

Nice, eloquent notes Jeremy. Also a nice combination, Krug and Leroy. The best in the new year to you and yours.

2002 Krug is monumental. I am a buyer every opportunity at a reasonable rate.
It will be priceless in a few years IMHO. Like the 1988 it will skyrocket.

Agree 100%. I loaded up early on with everything I could get my hands on.

Nice notes, Jeremy. The 2002 Krug is a special wine. Had a bottle at L’Atelier Robuchon in Vegas last year, and it was a superstar with the first half of that menu. Truly great. The Leroy sounds like a treat.

Hi Alan and Jerry,

I don’t reckon we’ll be in The States this year but I promise we’ll visit you in 2019.

Cheers
Jeremy

that’ll give the wines another year to age!

Also drank some 02 Krug on New Year’s Eve. Followed by an 04 Perrier Jouet belle epoque, a 14 SQN Syrah, and then a Krug 164e at midnight. All fantastic. I have a special place in my heart for Krug. I picked up a 6 pack of the 02 and two 6 packs of the 164e for what I thought was a steal a couple months back :slight_smile: