TN: 2015 Kirkland Chablis 1er Cru

Wow. At $14.99, this pretty much blows away any bottle of sub $20 Chardonnay I’ve ever had. Bright citrus and white florals abound, there’s a real density here that gives an almost chewy/waxy mouthfeel. While this bottle impresses, I really don’t see this improving with age: a bit too round and opulent for much further development imho. Way to go Costco. 91 pts.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nice note Mark! Been doing a double take on these every time I’m at Costco. Looks I’ll be grabbing one next time.

Thanks for posting!

Jefferson lives!
(or at least Mark does)

Yeah, it’s a good chardonnay at the price point but it ain’t chablis! Wheres the seaspray, oystershell kimmiridgian inflected racy acidity of chablis?

I like as chardonnay but not as chablis.

ymmv

100% agree. Not very Chablis-like, but still a very solid wine.

2015 Chablis.

+1

Best I’ve had so far on '15 basic Chablis is Samuel Billaud Les Grands Terroirs, even that while delicious and likely more so in 3+ years, is a somewhat fleshy Chablis. Most have been easy and simple. Will be interesting to see how the 1er. Cru shape up (I’m going to try and hold off a while yet).

I rather liked the Kirkland 2014 1er at the sub $20 price, even though it looks like it was from different vineyards (Montmains and Beauregard) it was definitely in the same rounded and riper style described here.

Saw this thread and ran out got one. Reporting tomorrow!

I tasted a Chablis blind (yes, I know, meaninglessly small sample size.) I could pick it as white Burgundy and no more. YMASSMV.

(And Sample Size)

Looking forward to your thoughts on the wine!

[cheers.gif]

I was hoping you’d forget.

With apologies, it didn’t suit me.

But…

My palate seemed off this weekend, so I have another bottle to try.

My main impression was that the wine drew my attention mostly to its water content. The flavors didn’t rise up enough to engage me. My experience didn’t match yours for the mouth-feel, which may be my incorrect perception.

I say all this because I thought I was getting sulfur notes on my Ultramarine sparklers and then on some other champagnes…which makes me suspect the problem was me.

I tend to relate to your notes, so I am going to try again.

I’ve enjoyed this wine, particularly for the price, but I agree it’s more of a good value white Burg than anything that screams Chablis. Brocard’s Chablis Ste. Anne is about the same price and IMO speaks a bit more of Chablis, despite being a villages wine rather than 1er. I’d like to try this from another (leaner) vintage and see if I get more of Chablis from it, or maybe see if it that comes in after another year or so. Still, for $15 this is a very good value Chardonnay IMO. Not too ripe; no noticeable oak. Could be racier but again, at $15 a good value.

There is lots of much more expensive Chablis these days that tastes more like Macon or Cotes d’Or than traditional Chablis – riper, richer and with oak.

Kirk Land, huh? I bet we won’t be seeing this in most small shops around the country!

2014 KLPCC was a no-brainer buy-by-the-case wine so much flavour without any oak needed for so little dinero.

I got around to trying a bottle of this and I was impressed. Went back to Costco to load up but now it’s gone. :frowning:

Thanks for the note. Glad Mark didn’t have to dump this one down that nasty toilet of his.

I suspect the problem is that it’s 2015.
Wonder if this is the Brocard Kimeridgean Chard it seems to fit the profile.
The back label is a tad ironic given what people seem to be tasting (or not tasting).
Of course Costco wines aren’t available in the frozen North so can’t comment further.

I was happy with it as well. For the price, for me, it’s a helluva deal. Easy case purchase/house white wine