1992 Stag`s Leap Wine Cellars Fay Cabernet

1992 STAGS LEAP WINE CELLARS FAY VINEYARD NAPA CABERNET SAUVIGNON- I remember buying one bottle of this and the 92 SLV and Cask 23 wines once released and the occasion presented itself to open this one and see if that was a good decision or not; it was a brilliant decision.

The colour was a medium hue of crimson; the nose, taste and mouthfeel components were strongly suggestive of elegance and finesse; this charming wine gave up aromas of plum and blackberry with mild accents of milk chocolate, talc and sandalwood; this is also pretty much what the taste revealed along with some blueberry; it was in perfect balance, had a smooth, silky texture, soft tannins and a medium weight thereby tenderly caressing the palate; I assume there is some Merlot in this and probably a touch of Petit Verdot as well, but the softness and velvety character says more Merlot complimenting some very mild Cab Sauv.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_195b.jpeg

Great note Blake! Did you feel like the wine would hold at this level for a while or do you see it starting to decline in the near-term?

I actually have a handful of 97 Fay and Cask 23 in 375ml bottles that I’ve been meaning to check in on, so would love to hear your thoughts (keeping in mind we’re obviously talking about different vintages and bottle sizes).

I ended up with two bottles of the '98 Fay which was supposed to be a poor vintage. I remember how delighted I was when I opened these in 2007. They turned out delicious.

Rich, this bottle held up without any hint of declining. I think it can go another 10 years+ with this attribute holding steady. Re the 375s, I`d be checking in with at least one of each soon. If our 750 is any indication, the 375s should be perfect now. Let us know.

Good point Don. I have had some 98s [not Fay[ and expected them to be bow wow and they shined unexpectedly bright. Sort of like the 75 Bordeaux when they were first reviewed and later on released. They were touted to be severely tannic/ astringent and now many are coming in with better than average performances.

We drank the 85-92 vintages of this wine like water when I lived in P’Cola Bch. Always a fav, interesting in our market the Cask 23 was definitely at a different pricepoint back then from Fay and SLV.

Glenn, your post stimulated me to look up the difference on Wine Searcher and I found Cask 23 to be almost twice Fay and SLV in US markets.

Around 01 I had the pleasure to drink two pristine bottles of 1978 Cask 23 the same weekend. As good as any CA wine I’ve ever enjoyed.

Thanks Blake!

I think I might open a 97 cask 23 and a Fay tonight and drink them side by side. I’ll be sure to report back.

1997 Fay vs. Cask 23 (both out of 375ml)

Probably not a totally fair fight as the Fay looks/tastes like it might have a little heat damage (cork saturated and very slight signs of some possible seapage), but the Cask 23 blew it away tonight.

Both were deep magenta red but the Fay had more obvious bricking at the edges. On the nose the Fay had red fruit but was a bit overwhelmed by a funky note that wouldn’t blow off. 23 was really pretty and full with hints of pencil lead, baking spice, and cherries. In the mouth the Fay is better than the nose with chocolate, and baked fruit…but the funkyness is still there along with some heat. The Cask is lovely with complex notes of cassis, red fruit, and autumn leaves.

EDIT: 1 hour in the Cask 23 is KILLER!! Amazing nose of spring flowers and cherries with a mouthfull of the same in addition to cassis and a slight hint of sandalwood. Fine tannins and a very, very long finish round out what is a very complete wine with a seriously bright future. Super impressive…especially since this was out of a 375ml!!

Happy New Year all!
20171231_192055.jpg

Heitz used to make a Fay…I would have to dig to find which vintage was one of my all time favorites. But I remember being wowed by it. I only have Martha’ and Napa in my cellar now.

Thanks Rich for posting your notes. Happy the Cask 23 showed so well. I would have expected the Fay to have been much better than how yours performed. A bottle variation?

Thanks Blake!

And yeah, I’m going to call the Fay flawed, as I’m pretty sure there was some heat damage at some point. I’ll try another one here soon.

And now Im motivated to open up the 92 Cask 23 and SLV for comps; will pick the right time to do this; many be a few weeks out.

Nice Blake - I’ll definitely look forward to hearing your notes. Ill plan to pop another 97 Fay around the same time.

I enjoyed a fair number of SLWC Fay from the 90s. The Cask 23 was a rarer treat. Somehow these fell off my radar. Are they still making them like they used to?

Good question David. I have note seen any notes on recent vintages. Help anyone!

So I popped another half bottle of 1997 Fay, and it confirmed that my last bottle was absolutely heat damaged. This one was geoegous, and full of silky red fruits, cassis, forest floor, tobacco, and leather. Well integrated tannins and a long finish. Drinking really, really well out of 375ml but definutley no rush.

1 Like

Great. Thanks for taking one for the troops Rich. I have yet to open the other 92`s and hope this will remind me to do so soon.

It’s a tough job Blake… :wink:

Looking forward to hearing about the other 92’s!