TN: 2015 François Lumpp Givry 1er Cru Clos du Cras Long

• 2015 François Lumpp Givry 1er Cru Clos du Cras Long - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Givry 1er Cru (12/28/2017)
    My first encounter with this producer and what a head turner, wow wine! The best 2015 I’ve tasted so far from a very nice vintage! PnP in Burg glasses and slow ox / sip for 45 minutes prior to dinner. When we speak of “complexity” this, is it. There’s more going on here than I can fully relate but Ill give it a shot. Semi translucent bright red color. Intoxicating perfumed nose with both sweet and tart cherry, spice and other aromas bursting from my glass. Not mature aromas but wonderful vineyard fresh aromas. The palate too is packed with bing & rainier cherries, Asian spice and granite. This wine is ultra; pure, fresh, balanced, concentrated, and finessed. Rich & suave yet very focused and lifted. Said to see 30% new oak. Spectacular right out of the gates. I only bought 2 btl to try and I’m kicking myself now. Blind I’d guess this to be Ler Cru Chambolle. Best of all, its sub $40. Don’t anybody buy this before I get a chance to pick up more! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Craig! This sounds great. I recently drank a 2009 A Vigne Rouge from Lumpp. A very nice wine with good concentration and quality winemaking. A steal at the 29.99 I paid from Winex some years ago.

I will look for more from this producer.

Mahalo!

I’ve now had this twice and I posted a CT note the same day as you did. It’s such a delicious wine and pantheon-level QPR. Silky smooth concentrated fruits in a svelte package with the brightness of top cru bojo. My discovery of 2017.

Dam, I wish I had bought more from Envoyer than just 2! deadhorse Its totally worth the current $50 elsewhere but, I can’t get the $37 Envoyer steal out of my head now:). I’ll likely come to terms with the current market price and buy more.

[quote=“craig v”] I can’t get the $37 Envoyer steal out of my head now:). ]

She’s Lumpp, she’s Lumpp. She’s in my head.

Well played. It looks like you did not linger last in line for brains.

I also only bought 2 from Envoyer, but after opening my first bottle I emailed Greg and picked up a few more of the '15 Lumpp Clos de Jus. Still don’t have enough and would love to buy a case if I could find the Clos du Cras Long for the price Greg was offering it for.

Thanks for the note, Craig. and for your added thoughts, Mark. I have been wondering about this producer, I will now actively seek out a bottle.

Mahalo nui loa,

Mike

Yep, I grabbed 3 of the Jus also after confirming no more Cras a few days ago. I still may get more Cras too and pay the market price $49 price since the wine really drinks that well or better. The problem with Burgundy is low low production numbers make a great vintage disappear fairly quickly.

Hi Mike. Halpern has Lumpp in Ontario (Trialto in PQ) but the V-online store has 1 each of his white & red. The rouge is the '15 1er Givry Brulees. Decent value at $58.

Probably a good idea to look for '16s when they start hitting the market too. Really strong and quite consistent Côte Chalonnaise vintage.

Sad to have missed this in our market. It sold out within minutes. Sounds great.

Based on the tasting note I’d expect some stems were used during fermentation. Curious if anyone can confirm.

The only bottle left in out market is the La Brûlées 1er Cru. Anyone tasted that? The BH note makes it sound much darker fruited which is usually not my preferred style.

Did the Côte Chalonnaise have the frost issues of the Côte D’Or in 2016?

Generally speaking, the damage was worse in the north than in the south. Rully suffered badly, Mercurey somewhat, and Givry not appreciably. All of the Mercurey and Givry reds I tasted, fifty plus wines over several days, were excellent.

The mildew problems that affected the north were also an issue here, so yields were down across the board.

nice to see you taking your Lumpps.

Thanks for pointing that one out, Chris M. I did pick up 3. That is, agreed, a fine price—more than comparable with the USD$45 pricetag I bought some of the Joblot stuff at a few months ago.

Mike

Total Swine has just added the 2014 Vincent Lumpp (brother?) Clos du Cras Long Premier Cru for $34 and another of his premier Cru 2015, which is actually even better and for less, $32 …have at it boys.