Week 6 Virtual Tasting Series - Champagne for the animals

Theme: Champagne, Champagne, Champagne!!
Host: D@vid Bu3ker
Matching donors:
Date: December 26th - January 3rd
Format: David will donate $5 per tasting note.

About the Charity: Dakin Humane society http://www.dakinhumane.org/

Dakin Humane Society is a community supported animal welfare organization that provides shelter, medical care, spay/neuter services, and behavioral rehabilitation for more than 20,000 animals each year. Since its inception in 1969, Dakin has become one of the most recognized nonprofit organizations in the Pioneer Valley and a national leader in animal welfare.

Quick links to find bottles for the cellartracker crowd.

Champagne Site verification

Nice—look forward to this week and some bottles opened. I got a few lined up already.

Is it any sparkling wine or just Champagne?

I don’t mind if you do non-Champagne bubbles.

FYI, Houdini and Deus, the cats in my avatar, are rescues from Dakin.

Thank you for doing this, Buek. I’ll have some more TNs before the challenge closes.

• NV Hugues Godmé Champagne Grand Cru Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (12/26/2017)
    Second bottle in as many months. This time from 375, as I was happy to see a bunch of them at Envoyer on the wire rack so I bought a handful of them. Farmed cleanly by Godme, using 35% Chardonnay/65% PN, 6 g/l. Polished this off over dinner, first starting with it very cool, then finishing the last portion at room temp. Bread dough, zippy and brisk acidity, strawberry, light green apple and some finishing mineral.

Posted from CellarTracker

David. That is very generous of you. We had this one while cooking Christmas dinner:

• NV J. Lassalle Champagne 1er Cru - France, Champagne (12/25/2017)
    Drank on Christmas day. Delicious. Lots of mousse, lemon, apple and cherry nose. Slightly ripe orchard fruit flavours with long dry finish. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Approximately 60% Pinot Meunier, 20% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir
Aged 48 months on the lees before disgorgement
Vintages in the current disgorgement: 2009 and 2010
Aged for a minimum of 4 months after blending in enamel lined tanks before bottling
Dosage: 8g/liter
Disgorgement dates are engraved at the bottom of each bottle

David,

I won’t go retro to 12/24 to save you some $, but be prepared for more than a couple of notes from me.

Great of you to do this every year.

Gonet-Medeville Premier Cru Extra Brut Rose 2008. Excellent small bubbles. Nose of ripe strawberries and graham crackers. Nice mousse. Good acidity to round it out. A- for me (don’t use 100 point system.

1990 Comte Audoin de Dampierre en magnum: gorgeous ripe yellow stone fruit and citrus, really fans out after 90 minutes, lots of life left yet, balanced and good acidity that lifts.

Thanks for your restraint as well as your participation. :slight_smile:

It’s indeed kind to serve Champagne to the animals, but alas we drank it up ourselves.

NV Delamotte Blanc de Blancs Brut: Light and fluffy mousse. “Young” aroma, minerally, chalky, apple and citrus fruit. Very nice. Just took delivery of a well-priced six-pack.

’04 Pierre Moncuit BdB Magnum - bought a few cases of 750ml’s and a few cases of mags of this Champagne upon release in Europe. Have had several bottles which I’ve enjoyed, but haven’t opened one in a few years. This was the first mag I’ve opened and it was nothing like the wine as I remember it. Seemed as if it had aged a decade plus which is a concern considering the format. Some fruit, good effervescence upon opening but quickly dissipates, with some oxidation. If served blind I would never guess it to be a Blanc de Blancs due to its heaviness. Good plus.

Opened a second magnum later that day with identical results.

David - can you remind me how this works?

Merrill, David will contribute $5 to his charity for every tasting note posted on this thread for sparkling wines consumed between December 26th - January 3rd. The more we drink (and post), the more he pays.

• NV Hubert Meyer Crémant d’Alsace Pinot Blanc - France, Alsace, Crémant d’Alsace (12/26/2017)
    Winex always has this and the Brut Rosé in stock so I tend to keep some bottles around. The Rosé is a step up but this is still solid, especially at $17. While shuffling some things around, this ended up in our regular fridge for a few days so it was way too cold at the start. Once it warmed up, there was green apples, pears, and a somewhat rich yeasty finish. A simple wine that is easy to sit back and enjoy. The wine is 100% Pinot Blanc.

Jason

Thanks, Mike. Are you intending to be the BerserkerDay Champ again in 2018?

2002 Piper Heidsieck Rare Opened December 23, and sampled December 26, it has retained some of the richness and fullness even after four days. Drinking well now, but should last. I am glad to have bought two more bottles (before I tasted this), but not as happy as my wife who is ready to open them as soon as I get the next delivery from Envoyer. I wonder when they changed to the very ornate bottle?
2002 Piper Rare.jpg

What a gorgeous bottle…would have loved to have enjoyed the contents, as well!

NV Kirkland Brut

This was stored in a Mammoth Lakes cabin cupboard for three or four years. Threw it in the fridge this morning and drinking it now.

Very nice mousse, not much palate presence. Some acid along the sides of my palate. Green apple and a touch of sweet bread.

Bereche & Fils Brut Reserve.

Crisp, bracing acidity. No roundness - too much green apple for my taste. Extra lean on the finish.

A follow-on to a nice long, late lunch with old friends. Will not purchase again.