TN: 2006 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée

• 2006 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/24/2017)
    Decanted 2 hrs. This Pegau was simply on point last night, very fragrant on the nose, multiple dimensions on the palate such as kirsch, lavender, a little black olive, and a touch of black cherry preserves. But, this is much lighter on its feet than the 07, which seems to be dominated by baked plums which mask any other qualities that could emerge. Think of this as a very close runner up the superb 04 Reserve, which is very high praise in my book. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Dale. Just recently stood up both 04 & 06 for near term consumption.

Thanks for the note Dale. I had a 6 pack of the '06 but the two bottles I have drank so far have disappointed. Last was 18 mouths ago so maybe it is time to try another.

Anytime a Beaucastel does not perform my thought is always heat damage since they seem to be a pretty consistent producer. Hope my six-pack is not a victim.

About to crack an 04 for the family from my OWC that I just received from a recent auction for a touch over $50 a bottle.

Huge success for the vintage … I had it last month (by accident when I mistook it in the cellar instead of a 2000, torn label).
Just FWIW: it may be enjoyable now and quite open for business, but it´s still a bit primary, absolutely no need for drinking up soon if you have more bottles, easily can improve for another 10 years …

Popped an ‘08 on Friday. Heavy smoke on the nose at opening, which blew off quickly. Very nice showing for a $25 wine from a crappy vintage

I had the '06 Pegau CR last week and I agree it is drinking well, mostly cured meat, game and beef blood combined with sweet black/red fruit. Market spices are not really there yet, but will show up with a little more time in the bottle. Still a ways to go for full maturity, no rush at all. Drink over the next decade plus. A little lighter in body than the last '04 I had several months ago, the '04 is a little sweeter in the fruit profile and the spices are more developed. If you only have a bottle or two of the '06, hold until 2020, if you have several, feel free to open. Cheers

The 2008 Pegau is more advanced than the 2006 -due to the vintage, however still an excellent wine, very typical, something to pop without much regret … while waiting for the stonger vintages …

Nice note Dale. I picked up one at K&L and if it drinks as you described, I’ll be back for a pair. I don’t mind a lighter version as you mentioned.

Thanks for the note. Sounds like I should open up an '06. I recently had a disappointing '01 that seemed oddly advanced. Relatively fruitless and lifeless.