Which wine to pair for Christmas Dinner? UPDATED!!!!!!!

Check post 56

Doing a Beef tenderloin that will be seasoned well and wanting to pair it with some wine. I googled for fun and I saw some people saying to do a CA Pinot and skip the typical Cab pairing. Is there any validity to this? What would you pair with it?

Napa Cab, Bordeaux, Super Tuscan or BdM, Rioja, Chilean Malbec, SA Meritage.

All before PN.

Seems l8ke you favor Cabernet so stick with that or open a PN in addition.

Tom, I like your idea, maybe it might be more fun to just open both and see what plays out?Now the fun part… Corison, EMH, Corra, or VHR? Different styles of wine but all made by ladies, all the wines are 2008 and newer, what sounds good…hhmmmmm

Listen to the doctor ! [cheers.gif]

Not sure exactly what seasoning, but I’d think about St Emilion or Pomerol. Or left bank with good Merlot component. Pichon-Lalande say. If it’s spicy then maybe Napa

Not PN.

Would be interested to hear any results of tenderloin, lightly seasoned, with mushrooms, and say Nuits St George. But Pinot not my first option. Especially with “well seasoned”.

CA pinot wouldn’t be my first choice. Pommard, Gevrey, Nuits, Corton, Malconsorts maybe – depending on the preparation. I’d have to take seasoning and/or sauce into account.

Just drink what you like. Don’t over-think it.

I’m grilling tenderloin tomorrow night. Two Zins tee’d up - ‘11 Carlisle “Papera”, and ‘14 Radio Coteau “Lemorel.”

CdP.

Our meals are spread out over hours. S/B and/or Chard with the appetizers and salad. The PN is next as we nosh some more before sitting down to the main. Both Cab and Syrah on the table along with an aged CdP or Bordeaux for those who want lighter wines.

A big cab, Shaffer HSS or Schrader would be my choice.

Pick whichever one you think is the right choice. That will be the best choice. Pinot Noir, whatever.

St. Emillion or other Merlot heavy Bordeaux.

Left bank Bordeaux would work just as well. I’m sipping a 2000 Smith Haut Lafite that would be great.

Honestly tenderloin is a rather mild meat. I find young bordeaux, cali cabs, CdP, Rioja, etc blow it away. My first choice would be an aged red (really any region), and then burg, pinot, chinon, barbera, gamay, and grenache blends.

With family I wouldnt do this, but I find aged viognier, mild skin-contact italian wines, and aged roses to go great with tenderloin.

I knew an old Florida hotel chef who featured tenderloin on his menu regularly. He often said the best pairing was Rhone whites.

I tried 'em a time or two and this never hit me right.

Big Syrah goes really well with a well spiced tenderloin. Have done that several times recently. So does whatever you really like. Enjoy.