2006 Dom Perignon

As mentioned in a previous tasting note, I traveled to the Pacific side of a Southern part of Mexico [Zihuatanejo] to enjoy an 11 day, 10 night vacation to celebrate a special birthday for which I brought some great champagne to enjoy during the stay. There were 3 in all with the NV Krug Grande Cuvee and NV Krug Brut Rose the first 2 and already consumed in advance of the big day.

I selected the 2006` Dom over many other Grand Marques options since i had just had a bottle and found it to be vibrantly young, super complex and powerful enough to withstand the riggers of a day of ground and air travel and the vast temperature and humidity changes it would undergo. It proved to be the right choice.

Sitting on our suites`s outdoor patio and with another expected stellar sunset approaching, with the temp around 88ºF and humidity in the mid 70s, I gave the bottle an ice water chill for well over 2 hours. Additionally, I prepared the smallish Bordeaux shaped wine glasses by chilling them with ice cubes before dispensing them. Then I learned it was prudent to pour small pours in order to get the essence of the bubbly before it warmed up and moved into another dimension which happened with the first pour in a matter of minutes.

With a killer sunset developing and the champagne ready to give up it treasures, we were blissfully elevated into nirvana.

2006 MOET & CHANDON DOM PERIGNON BRUT- for me, this vintage is mindful of the 1996; its drinking so good out of the gate with assurances of grandioseness upon maturity; as experienced before; the nose was majorly inviting with assurances of pure pleasure forthcoming; it had bright acidity, a bounty of ripe citrus notes with lemon-lime most prevalent, it had a full on body, was zesty on the palate and had a long, sustained aftertaste; as I commented before, its a wowzer.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1941.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_193f.jpeg

Nice note. I had the ‘06 DP last week in Tokyo (first I have seen of it) and completely agree with your take on it. Actually not very typical of DP for me, much more bland de blanc like with the predominance of citrus. Wowser indeed.

I liked it enough to just now order 3 more Kelly. I think this is a winner, but cellaring and allowing it to evolve and balance out is the key. I`m going to store it off premises to make it easier to keep my hands off. This is my approach to many wines that I just have to leave alone for a while.

Good to hear, this showed awkwardly when I had it in Dec. 2016

That bathrobe shows awkwardly too.

Yea, I just showered after a swim. A pre-sunset routine. Good one Craig.

After meeting Blake recently, and getting to know him a bit more, I appreciate that photo. Bathrobe, dom and let it rip.

Happy holidays, Mr Brown.

Is that Blake? When I first saw it I thought he met up with David Hasselhoff! :slight_smile:

You got me pegged Frank. The seclusion and privacy of our resort did lend itself to being super casual. The robe was an extra.

Good one Mark. My wife howled at that comment.

These just showed up for a good price at a couple of Oregon shops. I already have a few. The only one I’ve tried was bland, even for a young Dom. I tend not to like these young, but liked this vintage even less than typically. Maybe I opened my bottle at a particularly dull time.

Cheers
Warren

What’s a good price? My club had their holiday open house last night, and I’m tempted by an offer of 6-packs of 2006 Dom P for $787 all-in ($131 and change per bottle)…

I’d take the 04 over the 06 at that price for current consumption.

I like the 06 quite a bit more than the 04, but the 09 is also delicious now.

Blake, that’s pic alone is making me want to take a vacation. I have had the 2006 twice now and both times awkward, closed, and basically a face-palm on the waste of potential. In the context of a trip with some abuse along the way, I get how this could come out showing pretty well. I had a recent offer on post off that I passed on. Mild regret. Trying to keep some powder (and cellar space) dry for the 2008.

Enjoy Mexico. Looks absolutely lovely.

Live well!
fred

Fred, this TN was posted almost a year ago. Seeing it again makes me want to go back there and as you say, its lovely. I have not opened another 06` since in order to allow them to mature a bit more. I have the luxury of having many from the 90s to drink meanwhile.

$138/bottle; $129 if you take a six pack.

WT

That’s a sweet price.

I’m pleased others like this, but I guess my tastes differ.

Having had many bottles of the 2006, the most recent one being Sunday, I think it is the weakest DP, along with the 2003, since the 1993. To me it, it comes across as a straightforward Champagne with no wow factor.

Sec wines in Portland has/had an email blast yesterday at $124.99 per