TN: 1970 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva

• 1970 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Gran Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (12/17/2017)
    Almost Musar-Like on the nose and palate…it’s quite possible that in a blind tasting I could have been challenged with this wine. Scents of an oil-stained cement floor, clove, orange-rind, floral notes, and potpourri. The palate is awash in black cherry, fig, kirsch, and a bright strawberry note that lasts on the finish. Medium body, medium acidity, med tannin, and a freshness of fruit that seems like this could last another 10+ years with good storage. What a lovely and graceful wine…brilliant!

Posted from CellarTracker

Good bottles of this are really something.

We had one at an offline a few weeks back and it was many folks WOTN.

Sean

Thx for the note Kirk! A bottle of the '62 a little over a week ago was awesome - I’m a believer.

Thanks for the note. 1970 is awesome wine. 1962 is almost otherworldly amazing—among my favorite Riojas ever.

This is just a killer wine. I remember it more as an orange-peel coated sledge-hammer, rather than a graceful wine, but looking back, it was actually 5 years ago that I last had it. Seems like only yesterday.

Had this once in 2000 or 2001 and I still remember it. Didn’t know CVNE at that point, never forgot them since. Legendary wine for me.

what does CVNE stand for?

Stands for Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España. A long history there - the wines and the region are definitely worth a try :slight_smile:

Seems to be pronounced “cuneh”.

Quick question. Oil stained cement floor? Kind of inscrutable. Are you talking motor oil; or more sulfur-heavy lube or gear oil?

Had this at a tasting just a few months ago. Was excellent, but just slightly edged out by the 1973. Great stuff. Old Rioja are beautiful

Honestly it reminded me of the smell in my grandfather’s garage floor where he worked on the “stump-jumper” an old WWII era Jeep that we used going out to the woods to go cut firewood for the winter. So most likely it’s old motor oil…I know it’s a very personal descriptor…but it a scent that’s firmly planted in my memory.

used to drink this one and the ’70 Imperial with carryout Kitfo from an Ethiopian restaurant on 18th St NW…

the density of fruit had a magickal way of wrapping itself around the fire of the dish

and yes; old Rioja – had a Castillo de Ygay Gran Reserva 1968 coupla years back that is still the wine of the decade

As good as this wine is, the Imperial is far better in both strong vintages like this, but also in weaker vintages.
The Viña Real Gran Reserva and Reserva from the 70’s are still very cheap though and are great bargains

And the LDH wines from the 70’s are even better
All IMO [cheers.gif]

Fun and yum. Thanks for the note.

Old riojas are magic. The 70 Faustinos are drinking awesome.

Jason

Agree on LDH and the 1970 Imperial (so far). But for my palate pre-1970 Vina Real GR at this point has left Imperial behind. 1962 and 1964 are among the very best Riojas I’ve ever tried. And I still would give the nod to most VR from the 70s through the 90s over Imperial, especially for long term potential.

Agreed. Recently did a comparative tasting of 64, 66, 70, 73, 76 Vina Real vs Imperial. Comparable quality overall but I liked the red-fruited and somewhat lighter palate of the Real more than Imperial in every vintage, though they were all quite close.

Sound like a great idea. I will try to make a lineup like that too very soon. Were all the Vina Real Grand Reserva?

Yep. Vs Imperial GR