TN: Two QPR Bedrocks...(short/boring)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by TomHill » December 19th, 2017, 9:09 am

Breaking into my Bedrock arrivals, I tried these two over the last few days:
1. Bedrock Zin OldVine Calif (Vine avg age > 80 yrs; 14.4%; Drk: 2017-2022: MTP; Bedrock/Teldeschi/Sodini/Nervo/Katushas/Evangelho/Esola/CasaSantinamaria/Story; 88% Zin + PS/Carignan/AlicanteBouschet + others + 0% Merlot) 2016: Med.color; light toasty/oak very attractive blackberry/Zin/spicy/bit boysenberry rather dusty/OV fairly ripe nose; lightly tart quite juicy strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/ripe/spicy light toasty/oak rather spicy/dusty/OV drinkable flavor w/ light brisk tannins; very long ripe/blackberry/Zin/very spicy fairly dusty/OV bit earthy/rustic light toasty/oak finish w/ light brisk tannins; shows lots of dusty/OV character & strong blackberry/Zin fruit; a screaming steal at $19.50
2. Bedrock Syrah NorthCoast (33%-50% whole-cluster; 2% co-frmtd Viognier; Drk: 2018-2025: MTP; 11 mo. in neutral Fr.oak; 14 brls) 2016: Very dark/near black color; beautiful blackberry/Syrah/spicy/peppery rather black pepper/w-c some Rhonish/smoked meats/roasted fairly complex nose; lightly tart strong blackberry/Syrah/blueberry/spicy rather peppery/w-c/cracked pepper rather Rhonish/roasted lovely flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy rather Rhonish/roasted/olive tapenade peppery/w-c savory finish w/ modest tangy/angular tannins; a beautiful very Rhonish Syrah at a stupid/silly price. $20.65
The EugeneStory is up in Amador overlooking the ConsumnesRiver vlly. Didn't know Morgan bought from them. They also have some very old-vine Mission at Story. Don't know what the Story wines are like these days.
Tom

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Larry P » December 19th, 2017, 10:09 am

Nice reviews TomHill. These wines are screaming values. I've been buying less of them just to try to reduce the bottle count in my cellar, but it's really a tough call between these and the SVDs.

FYI the Turley Judge Bell is in fact the same vineyard block as was/is Story Picnic Hill. I guess Larry Turley liked the image of a "Hangin' Judge Bell" better than a "Picnic Hill." This wine has an impressive tannic structure and I think will be one of the most age-worthy Turleys ever.
Last edited by Larry P on December 19th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Eric S n y d e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Eric S n y d e r » December 19th, 2017, 10:11 am

Add me to the chorus of praise for these two QPR champs...

...curious though Tom, why the 0% Merlot note on the OVZ?

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Larry P » December 19th, 2017, 10:13 am

Eric S n y d e r wrote:...curious though Tom, why the 0% Merlot note on the OVZ?
All that GDC-pruned Merlot at Bedrock Vineyard has to go somewhere, but I guess not here.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Drew Goin

#5 Post by Drew Goin » December 19th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Thanks for taking two for the team, Tom!! I ordered 2 bottles of the 2016 Bedrock Old Vine Zin, plus a couple of Evangelho Reds.

I reached out to Wellington Cellars a little while back. It was bought out and the winery focuses on a collection of home vineyard-designated Zins based on the year planted, as well as offering the standard releases (Cab, Merlot, Pinot, Chard, Rhône-style Red & White, etc). Alas, the "Noir du Noir" Alicante/Teinturier blend (including fruit from Wellington and Pagani) is gone. :|

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97754&p=2385507&hil ... s#p2385507

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by ky1em!ttskus » December 19th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Peter sold Wellington, Tom. Turned the keys, property, and winery over a year or so ago. Sold maybe three years ago. Peter’s kids weren’t interested so he sold.

He’s almost done clearing out his inventory, I believe. Mystery cases were sold on woot for like $170.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Well...

#7 Post by TomHill » December 19th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Eric S n y d e r wrote:Add me to the chorus of praise for these two QPR champs...

...curious though Tom, why the 0% Merlot note on the OVZ?
Well, Eric....just to indicate that this is not a kitchen-sink blend in which they just
dump in the leftovers.
And just to see if anybody is reading. In many of my posts, I just post something outrageous
just to see if people are reading them. You get a GoldStar today.

Do a Google on one such: "Turley Smoot-Hawley White Zin".
Zin1953 wrote:

Did you read the review???

TomHill is (was?) a Los Alamos physicist, competitive fencer, and wine geek. He first posted that TN in January of 2001, IIRC, and did it AS A JOKE (come on: a 17.2% alcohol *sparking* white zinfandel? from Turley?) to comment upon a) how ludicrous their alcohol levels had become, b) how crazy prices had become, and c) to see how many wine geeks would actually believe it! (Tom had written previous TN's for this as a still wine, and it had sort of slipped under the radar, so he decided he'd have to GO BIG and took the alcohol to 17+ and made it sparkling! Only the price declined to $37.49.)

Tom even named it "Smoot-Hawley Vineyard" after the notorious Smoot-Hawley Tariff legislation of 1930 -- see http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/ob...

His worst fears (or biggest joy, I'm not sure which) came true when British wine writer Stephen Brook wrote his book, "The Wines of California," © 1999, published by Faber & Faber (ISBN 0-571-190-29-4). On page 252 of the first hardback edition, he wrote:

" . . . In 1996 Turley produced a white Zinfandel from the Smoot-Hawley Vineyard in Napa; it had 11.9% and at $41 must have set a recommended retail price record for a white Zinfandel. I have not tasted it."

It still makes me laugh . . . .

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. Tom was as surprised as anyone else -- probably more so -- what that showed up in print!
Tom

Drew Goin

#8 Post by Drew Goin » December 20th, 2017, 5:03 am

Lol :P

jon leifer

#9 Post by jon leifer » December 20th, 2017, 10:09 am

Ah yes, the famous(infamous?) Turley Smoot-Hawley Vyd White Zin...Haven't seen that pop up in a long,long time..
Jon

Return to “Wine Talk”