TN: 2004 Chappellet Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Signature

Popped for a taste and the let air for one hour and drank over 3 hours.

Really lush thick wine with excellent dark fruit supported by just the right amount of wood and dust, and enough acidity to keep it from being too heavy. The finish had a slight mint note and what seemd like a small bit of nuttiness. This is drinking well now but has tons of life ahead of it.

Timely note. Glad to hear this performed well. Thinking of picking up some 07.

I really enjoyed the one bottle of 07 that I drank (and bought more), although I think the 06 may be slightly better structured for the long run.

More good info - thanks

thanks for the note, Bruce. I have been tempted to open the one bottle I have of this, but perhaps I will try holding off for a while longer.

2004 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Signature - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/10/2021)
– decanted 45 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: expressive; dark red fruits; hints of shoe polish and sweet black licorice; has that high-toned aged C.S. thing going on.

BODY: medium to medium-full bodied; dark red color with slight bricking throughout.

TASTE: sweet oak; a touch tannic; fruit likely falling away now, leaving the oak behind; “dark” (black licorice) when paired with steak – the pairing was, to me surprise, poor. One of the longest-tenured wines in our cellar: I think this is already on its downslope. Drink Now.

50, 5, 12, 15, 7 = (89 pts.)

The 06 was the wine that got me into this crazy racket. It was pretty yummy - I think I ended up buying a case and drank them all up within a year. Cheers!