TN: 2014 Kongsgaard Napa Chardonnay

This was served blind to me and others.

Apple juice flavor on the nose. In the mouth, it’s very round with what seems like some residual sugar. (I suppose it could be sweetness from alcohol, but this didn’t seem hot.) Creamy texture. Honey, some caramel. Nice rich finish. I guessed Cal chardonnay, maybe 10-12 years old. Made in a facile style but not over the top. No flavors apart from the oak influence and the apples.

I was amazed to learn that this is a $115+ wine. You could buy something pretty similar for $20. And this tastes old beyond its three years. I doubt there’s enough acid to sustain this for the long haul.

Meh. (Not interesting enough to score.)

In the context of the acid/alcohol thread, this is a perfect note!

Thank you!

Do you happen to have the specs on the wine? I searched and neither the Kongsgaard site nor any picture I’ve been able to see shows the back label picture which might contain these.

And looking at all of the ‘professional reviews’, it’s clear that the reviewers are fixated on the aromas and ‘silky’ texture, and none mentioned even a pinch of acidity.

Yep, I’d be concerned with ageability as well - but heck, what do I know?!?! :slight_smile:

I’ve had a few Kongsgaard NV Chards (not the 14 tho). These probably won’t ever be in your wheelhouse, from your notes I’ve seen. However, this requires a lot of air to show the interesting side that’s underneath the initial ripe fruit side, sometimes much more than an extended dinner would allow (assuming PnP).

Sounds like perhaps it acts more like a Rhone-variety white perhaps? That ‘richness’ and ‘viscosity’ would push me in that direction.

Cheers.

I wouldn’t say Rhone white-ish, or that hasn’t been my impression. I think the alcohol (mid-14% or so usually I believe), low yield density and lees contact/stirring hides the acidity pretty well…at least initially. Historically Kongsgaard has aged well…better than white burgs sadly.

Yes, I think there were guesses of Rhone. It certainly had that texture, plus the honey note.

This just tasted like a sound but quite mature wine, and not a terribly interesting one. It seemed like a wine that was made to a formula, and something quite similar could be had for a fraction of this price.

FYI, it was decanted, but fairly shortly before serving. And we moved onto the next wine before too long. Who knows – maybe it would have evolved with air, but that would have surprised me.

I haven’t had many Kongsgaard Chard in recent years, but a decade ago every bottle I had with even a couple years on it seemed tired and premoxed.

Not an expert on Kongsgaard chard. Only had the 05 in my cellar. Drank 1 in 09 and 1 earlier this year. The 1 in 09 was great, but the one this year was fantastic. I did note low in acid, but still fantastic!

Interesting. Seems a good amount of positive reviews on cellartracker. I’ve had the wines quite a bit in the early 2000s but, since then they’ve fallen off my radar. I was looking to grab a couple bottles of the 14’ Chardonnay now I’m on the fence.

I’m sure. This is a popular style.

And, of course, CT tends to be self-selecting – the people who rate wines there tend to be the ones who liked it and bought it. And at these prices, there aren’t going to be a lot of people grabbing a bottle off the shelf to try it out on a lark!

Currently listening to John K’s I’ll Drink To That podcast. Truly and honestly interesting and fascinated to see how ahead of the game he was in many ways in what he was doing over two decades ago. A very good listen that will give you great insight into who he is and why he does what he does. It won’t allow you to like is wines any more or less though :slight_smile: