TN: 2007 Betz Family Clos de Betz (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

2007 Betz Family Clos de Betz - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (12/16/2017)
It has been about 3 years since my last bottle of this wine and it has improved markedly. This was a pop and pour. The color is dark ruby with no signs of age at all. On the nose graphite, earth, cherry, smoke and some vanilla . The flavors are fruit dominated with black cherry, earthy, spiciness and a tannic tingle on the long finish. Maybe a little alcohol on the finish which might not suit some. I believe that this wine has the tannin and acidity to continue developing for at least another 5 years. Happy to have 2 more bottles. Betz is one of several WA state wineries that consistently produce excellent wine for fair prices. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Under-appreciated winery. Bob is not only a great person, and winemaker, but one of most knowledgable wine people ever… he’s forgotten more than I know.

Every 2007 I ever had is long gone. Thanks for the note.

We had a bottle of the 2005 a couple of weeks ago that was drinking nicely as well.

Under appreciated winery in an underappreciated region. IMHO WA wines represent some of the best values in the wine world.

I enjoy many Washington Rhône-style wines as well as Bordeaux/Meritage blends.

Which is the the Clos de Betz?

Drew,

It is the Bordeaux blend.

I am a long time buyer of the Betz Bordeaux blends. High quality for sure! A

Of their Bordeaux-style blends, it’s Merlot-heavy and the lowest priced as well. Across the board, Betz Bdx blends demand age, and improve with it.