TN: 1990 Robert Ampeau & Fils Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Lavières

• 1990 Robert Ampeau & Fils Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Lavières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (12/16/2017)
    Smells like older red Burgundy, but in a ver rustic way. There’s a sous bois character, but its harder and dryer. The palate fees rustic, it’s lean, with tart red fruit that is drying. The wine is hanging in there and provides some pleasure in an old skool-slb way. Perks up a bit with my duck. When it comes to ex-cellar Ampeau wines, for me: whites > reds.

Posted from CellarTracker

TThanks for the note. Interesting comment re whites>reds. I’ve had some very good, recent experiences with his 91, 93 and 96 meursault perrieres but haven’t tried the 93 and 96 Volnay santenots I’ve got. Will rectify that shortly and report back.

The whites have been excellent to me. That includes 82 Combettes, 95 Sous le Bois and 91 and 93 Perrieres. The reds are just more on the rustic side. This one was serviceable, but I’d not seek it out and not worth the asking price. Cheers!

I have had some very nice Volnays from them, but agree that the whites are in a different class from the reds.

I would also agree, whites better than reds, although 1976 Volnay Santenots has been pretty good. 1993 not bad, 1991 not so good. With both red and whites, some issues with cork quality/corked wines, which has made me a little wary of reordering.

Had both the ‘96 ( in ‘09) and ‘99 (in ‘14) Volnay-Santenots. Both were tops, *** wines for me.

I’ve not had the '99 Volnay-Santenots. Would like to try that one. Seems to be some good bottles showing well now.

93 reds had cork issues and the whites always outshine the reds at this domaine with the coldest cellar in Burgundy.

Yep, ex cellar reds are a minefield, I batted 50/50 on a case of '93 in 2011-2012. Wish I would have consulted Alan.