2015 N Rhône: pick your poison

Which would you buy?

• 2015 Jamet Côte Rôtie @ $180/btl
  • 3x2015 Gilles Barge Côte Rôtie Coeur du Combard @65/btl
  • Antonio Brown for MVP

0 voters

These were both recent offers. Want to know folks’ rationale. Barge very traditional and rising star seemingly; Jamet getting priced to stratosphere, but Jamet is Jamet…

Is barge really a rising star? I’d much rather have Benetiere than barge. Offer is coming out soon I think

I haven’t followed who’s who in the Rhone over the last few years, other than those that get frequent mentions here.

I brought an '83 Pierre Barge C-R to our excellent dinner of bring your blind wine night at Ben’s house last week. It was stern and a little harsh at first pour, but I thought went on to drink good over the course of the dinner.

I think this Gilles Barge is the son/nephew of Pierre, but not sure. If the same style and vineyard as Pierre’s, then I’m going with Barge given 1/3 the price of Jamet.

Well have seen a ton more offers and press about Barge in last 18mo than any other producers in Northern Rhône. Good ratings from Gilman. Last year’s rising stars are now seemingly firmly established: Souhaut, Gonon, Gilles, etc.

Clay - have you had them head to head (Barge and Benetiere)?

Barge is Barge
BUT Jamet is Jamet

I don’t think the choice is binary, but if you have the bucks (and you clearly do), go for Jamet.

I’ve had 4 or 5 Jamets in the last year and 2014 barge Brune. The barge was a great drink and none of the jamets went into the stratosphere

Well I spoke with my wallet and bought the Barge.

Can anyone with experience opine if the 13 Jamet is a buy at $99 from MacArthur? Not sure how they are so much lower priced than any other source…

Gilles is (was) indeed the son of Pierre, and he actually made the wine since 1978/79 (although “officially” took over in 1994) - so the 1983 was made by Gilles.
A very traditional producers … which fails to really excite me, although I often liked what I´ve tasted, but only to a certain degree … slightly dry structure (stemmy), quite noticable acidity, but good to excellent length … and needing bottle age …!
I haven´t tasted anything after 2007 though …

No, I wouldn´t buy Jamet for 180,- - I buy it for 70,-

Gerhard- please buy a case and send it to me in DC. I could probably charter a boat and bribe customs for less than the markup.

I love Jamet but no way I’d put $180 for the regular release, let alone recent one.

I’ve tried a few Barge and though not in my top producers, I find that either the Cuvée du Plessy with some age on it, or the Côte Brune is better value, esp. the latter. Plessy is pretty simple wine but if you can source it at a good price and have some room in the cellar, it can turn pretty well.
I’ve bought some CB at below 50EUR and find it a pretty good Q/P.

Alain

How long do the Barge wines typically keep?

1998 Barge Côte Brune was gorgeous, mature but fresh, two months ago.

2001 Cuvée du Plessy was - for me - pretty much at its peak a year ago. Probably not starting to go downhill anytime soon but I did not see a need to age any longer. I enjoyed it a lot.

Can anyone with experience opine if the 13 Jamet is a buy at $99 from MacArthur? Not sure how they are so much lower priced than any other source…

I paid $90 for my three bottles (we allocated a maximum of three each at that price), and I think they’re worth it. Jamet is considered to be one of the best sources from the 2013 vintage.