Howell Mountain Cabernets

I have discovered that I really enjoy cabernets from Howell mountain. The fruit and the balanced tannins see to come together for me. Now my only exposure so far has been Robert Craig Howell Mountain '08,'09, and '11. I have a bottle of '08 Notre Vin Howell mountain waiting for me to try. Was curious as to other solid recommendations (La Jota, Outpost, etc?)?

Cakebread Dancing Bear
Lokoya
Dunn
Raymond
Pine Ridge

Lokoya is way more than rest, but they make great wines, although I think Mt Veeder is best of lineup.

Outpost and O’Shaughnessy are my favorites. Black Sears, Cimarossa, and Lamborn are also worth a look.

I was re-reading an article in Wine and Spirits magazine from December, 2002, “Cabernet Rising: Howell Mountain” by Rod Smith. Though the information is bound to be somewhat outdated at 15-years-old, I was nevertheless intrigued by the stories of the highlighted wineries on Howell Mountain.

Wineries featured in the article:

• Dunn Vineyards: “…matrix of richness, broad tannins, and high-toned clarity”

• Robert Craig: “…exceptionally fruity, juicy wines”

• Ladera Vineyards: “… incredible color, high-toned fragrance and intense flavors, with thick, chewy tannin and bright acidity”

• Howell Mountain Vineyards: “… brilliant fruit, focused acidity and suppleness”

In my own experience, I have enjoyed the Beringer “Bancroft Ranch” Merlot as well as the Howell Mountain Vineyards “Howell Mountain” Zinfandel.

Best of luck in your search for delicious Howell Mountain Cabernet! :slight_smile:

1992 La Jota 11th anniversary
Abreu Howell Mt
Arkenstone
Pina

Hard to imagine a better value off the mountain than Robert Craig. O’Shaugnessey is a personal favorite. Had some very good wines made from Black-Sears and Beatty Ranch fruit over the years.

I have liked recent La Jota efforts with Howell Mountain Cabernet Franc, which technically fit the OP criteria.

You should try Red Cap. Wine is an incredible value, even more important is the people there. Big on Instagram.

Outpost and Dunn would be my choices; I`ve heard, but not had that O’Shaugnessey is very good.

A few that we enjoy are:

Dunn Howell Mountain
Robert Craig
O’Shaugnessey
La Jota
Arns

Thanks,
Ed

It doesn’t get much love here but I have quite a bit of Ladera Howell Mtn from the early 2000’s and they always show well, and way above their class. These blinded get rave reviews every time. I scored a deal a few years ago for some .375’s of the ‘07 regular estate cab (I’m not sure exactly where this fruit comes from) and these are great weeknight wines.

Neal Family…

Outpost, Outpost, Outpost
Black Sears, Black Sears, Black Sears

If you like TRB style, these are great and they beat the overpriced competition by a mile.

1 Like

Outpost, R. Craig, Dunn…in no particular order, are my favorites.

JD

Well cellared Dunn.

Who is/are the overpriced competition?

+1 Arkenstone

Howell Mt juice is among the best in Napa! That AVA, along with Oakville is my preferred area. Along with Pritchard Hill, St Helena, Stag’s Leap, Calistoga, and Rutherford :slight_smile:

CADE HM and Reserve
older Dunn
2015 Sinegal Howell Mt.
Hundred Acre Ark Vineyard

jcoley3 wrote:
I have liked recent La Jota efforts with Howell Mountain Cabernet Franc, which technically fit the OP criteria.

Agree 100%. The 2014 Cab Franc is very, very nice.

Thanks,
Ed

1 Like

I will pile on…

Outpost
Dunn
O’Shaughnessy
Hundred Acre Ark
Black Sears

Sleeper: Cresta Velia

Tony, suggest you go to a “Taste of Howell Mountain” event if you can. There are a number of events each year, some in select cities outside CA, and 2 - 3 dozen producers are likely to show. Great way to taste through the line-ups. FWIW, another great producer is Pina.