TN: 2000 Chateau Gruaud Larose, St. Julien

From 375, decanted for about an hour.

This wine was less open than another 375 that I popped with Berserker MarcF about two years ago. Nose was muted and the palate was quite tight until the second glass, then showed some animale and a perfume of red fruits, tobacco and cassis. Medium weight, crisp array of red fruits, excellent acid, some tangy fruits and evolved with some expression of darker but spicey fruits. Earth, tobacco, leather. Some hint of the old Cordier funk but oh so much cleaner and brighter without losing that classic expression. Grainy, tart and firm tannic finish. I recommend holding this wine for another five years. Surprised this showed less well than a prior bottle, but still excellent.

(93 pts.)

Had a 750 of this last Saturday, my second bottle, the first being maybe a year after original futures purchase. Decanted an hour or so tops, consumed over three or four more. Seems to be moving at a pretty slow pace, so although might check in in five years it will still want more time. Didn’t really catch any of that Cordier funk, but hey will we ever get that again? :slight_smile:

As an aside the other Bordeaux opened was a 2003 Château Le Bon Pasteur which was really an apples to oranges comparison. This was better than I expected though, ready to go, spicy, not a bad drink at all.

Yea, I think that five years is a guess at the start of an optimal drinking window, not peak. This wine definitely needs the time you are suggesting.

Interesting about the Le Bon Pasteur. I have some 04 and 05 in 375s, and almost pulled one of those. You have me curious now about that 04.

Hmm, this was nearing the top of my drinking queue. Sounds like it needs to be held back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yea I would hold, David. I thought from the last 375 I had that it would even be more evolved, but if anything, it seemed less so. I really outstanding Bordeaux, so let’s give it the respect told more aging. My 750s will remain tucked away.

had the 82 out of 750 not long ago, still lots of enjoyment ahead for that one

[quote=“Robert Alfert, Jr.” Interesting about the Le Bon Pasteur. I have some 04 and 05 in 375s, and almost pulled one of those. You have me curious now about that 04.[/quote]

What? You let Rolland into your cellar? [wink.gif]

Let us know if you pop an 04. I’ve got a few stashed away in 750 and have been wondering…

Lol, I’m a punching-bag today over that Rolland guy. Fair enough! :wink: I grabbed these recently for $15 per 375. Seemed worth a flyer for Pomerol.

Robert,

you buy Rolland´s wine? I am surprised!!!

Exposed!!! :wink:

LOL, it gives me something to hate on, plus I can serve it to the unwashed masses that my wife invites over for dinner, bringing their fancy bottles of Silver Oak, Belle Glos and Caymus. [wow.gif]

Exactly! And damn bruh (nod to Neal), $15 per 375 is a sick price!