TN: 2011 Maybach Eterium

Clear bright yellow color.

On the nose (after being open two hours), rich fat butteriness, with a lesser amount of marzipan and a spicy bracing topnote of mint and a pleasant fresh cold ocean sea breeze quality, touch of lanolin, too.

On the palate, butteriness is most prevalent on the attack, together with yellow fruits like yellow pears and a course of acidity that extends through the midpalate to the lean, lingering finish, which itself has a touch of nuttiness, speaking to its age. The body of the wine is accented by a lactic-lanolin quality.

I would like to know the TA in this wine because there is a refeshing, lip-smacking aspect to the taste of this wine, yet I also think it has a relatively high pH due to the richness accompanying the lactic quality.

I would advise drinking now as over time I see the acidity remaining but the nuttiness getting more prominent, while the not particularly ripe fruit fades.

I do like this wine in general but think it could be better in years with more ripeness; here, in this case, it comes across as a case of somewhat underripe fruit married to pleasant oak and good winemaking, with good structure but not the harmony of the best of the best.

Still, you would enjoy this if you drink this anytime soon.