Blame bigger wine glasses

From the first study ever to explore the changes in wine glass size over time (from 1700 to the present), we learn that,

“As we approach the culturally legitimised deviancy of festive drinking, we suggest that size does matter: look at the wine glass in your hand.”

Disturbing conclusion in the BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal):

“some evidence of a link between wine glass size and drinking suggests that reducing the size of wine glasses in licensed premises and in our homes could reduce consumption.”

Fascinating reading nonetheless.

Consumption, consmunction – what would it mean for the bouquet?

I believe this is relevant when one isn’t imbibing a fixed amount; that is, if you and your partner are drinking a bottle over supper and the evening, it matters not what glass you use. If you’re at a party with effectively unlimited wine, then it likely does matter.

Is that from the same British doctors who finally admitted they simply made up what was a safe amount of alcohol to drink 40 some years ago?

Im drinking that 750ml bottle in sets of four, six, eight or ten glasses, I don’t care.

Carrie just bought some new merchandise for the holidays which include a red wine glass that holds 750 ml. Figured if we couldn’t sell them we could use them because our doctors want us to cut down to one or two glasses of wine a night.

From several wine groups over several years, it’s clear that people pour more if they have bigger glasses!

Yup. I have a collection of the Reidel Restaurant Series glasses which are a bit more diminutive than my typical stems and which I use when we host. Makes for healthier pours and evenings, IMHO.

In my house you’d have to change the size of the bottles, not the glass.

Cheers,

Warren

I’m with Joe on this one

Culturally legitimised deviancy of festive drinking?

So is my wine glass too big or just right for healthy drinking?

I kind of like this one:
guzzle.jpg
Or this one:
wineee.gif
But for George Washington, this was sufficient:
george.jpg

For port and sherry, of course it was.

I suspect the focus is not wine geeks who prize the nose of the wines they drink, but rather the UK trend that started about 15 years ago, for wine to be sold in 250ml servings, with only enough headspace in the glass to avoid spillage, and often targeting female drinkers. Then add in drinks promotions such as ‘buy 2 and get the 3rd one free’ and I’d agree that this would present a problem.