TN: 2005 La Grange Neuve de Figeac, Saint-Emilion n/k/a Petite Figeac

Oh man this is just classic, old school St. Emilion. Lovely bouquet of smoke, earth, tobacco, red fruits and apple peal. Zesty acidity on the palate, with a range of tart and wild red fruits and a touch of dark fruits. Tart and sweet at the same time. Dry earth with a little mossiness. Chewy, chalky tannins with a long, tangy finish. I cannot even imagine how excellent the Figeac is based on this showing of the second label.

(93 pts.)

Cool little historical tidbit, per Leve, Figeac was the first major St. Em estate to produce a second label (1945). Does not appear from Winesearcher that this is an easy wine to source. Too bad. Called Petit Figeac starting with the 2012 vintage.

Thanks for the nice note! Sounds tempting…

Not generally a fan of 2d wines, but I have to say Brother Robert does make this one sound mighty appealing

I almost rarely buy second labels, but this one pretty much stands on its own for me. Plus, the Figeac in excellent vintage has generally become too expensive for my comfort zone. As a counterpoint to what may be my glowing review here, Jeff Leve only rated the 2005 Figeac an 89 in 2015 and an 87 a bit earlier. So of course the second label must be truly mediocre. :slight_smile:

Well, I just placed a small order. We shall see. :slight_smile:

Pop one when you get it, and circle back. If you do not like it, I will buy the remainder off you for whatever you paid. I still feel bad about the Chateau Jaugueyron, but then again, you bought a crappy vintage. :wink:

I’d say a mixed vintage. I’ve had a number of decent 2002s. I’m sure this will be at least drinkable. Thanks for the recommendation!

I’m uncorking 05 St Emilion tonight with Flannery Hangers.

Why don’t I think my bottle will be as good as this sounds?

Doc, what are you poppin? I pretty much traded away almost all of my 2005 Saint Emilions, anything that was touched by Rolland, Bouaurd or Derenoncort. The classic producers, and sadly there are not many left in that appellation, made some excellent wines. If your concern is one of youth, yes they are still young and barely, if at all, entering that window of true maturity.

Not true my friend. I scored 2015 Figeac 98 Pts! 2016 got an even higher score from me!! Learn about Chateau Figeac St. Emilion Bordeaux Complete Guide

what do you think of the 2d, Jeff

Sorry Jeff, a typo. Meant the 2005. Same vintage as the second label I had. Though that was clear from the context. :wink:

Might try one these.
IMG_3637.JPG

I wish that I have bought more of that Faizeau.

You like Faizeau? How? It is ripe, rich, modern styled Right Banker with Alain Raynuad as their consultant!

There is hope for you yet! neener

We liked the Faizeau but my wife and I both thought restrained CA was very possible.

Hey Neal, today, the second wine is probably pricey, but I think a better wine, as more of the selection is placed in it. Previously, little selection was made, and the fruit was picked with less ripeness in 2005. FWIW, the second wine of Figeac changed names and is now called Petit Figeac.

Well, let’s be clear, I liked the 2005. An excellent QPR. You have no note on the site for this vintage, earliest note is 2009. I have not had any invtages after 2005. I thought Rolland was now involved.

Seriously, the 2005 at $18 per bottle BTC was a deal!

not necessarily a flaw… :slight_smile:

Thanks Jeff. Robert suckered me into buying the 2005. Maybe I’ll Rollandize it by adding some Pepsi and liquid smoke.