TN: Serious champagne: 2008 R&L LEGRAS SAINT VINCENT BLANC de BLANC BRUT

2008 R&L LEGRAS SAINT VINCENT BLANC de BLANC BRUT

I first got turned on to this producer after having the “house” bubbly Brut and Rose at La Tour d`Argent in Paris many times and loving them. Finally, I asked the Chef de Cave, David Ridgway, who makes this for them and it was R&L Legras.

As an aside, the cellar at this restaurant is not to be missed. Obviously, it would be best to to do in person. Even if it is only to be viewed on YouTube, La Tour d'Argent-David Ridgway.m4v - YouTube, [in French, but the pictures are the story]. They walled off a part of the cellar at the beginning of WW ll to salvage the most treasured wines when German occupation was imminent as reported in “Wine and War”.

Founded in the 16th century, Legras is one of the great names of Chouilly, the famous and most northerly village of the Côte de Blancs. This vintage was made in honour of the winegrowers’ Patron Saint since the 1964.

Tasting notes: the first hit was of bracing acidity which toned down after a bit; lemon zest, apple, pear and guava arrived first on the scene, but it was the fresh, ripe peach notes that commanded attention all the way to the back end; this is a big, rich bubbly that seems to expand with time and I`m deducing it would be prudent to cellar this vintage for many years before opening; mouthfeel is important to me and this exudes a creaminess that seriously tantalises my tactile sense; this is good serious, complex champagne that can hold its own in this category.

Cheers,
Blake
rl-legras-saint-vincent-2008-champagne-grand-cru.jpg

R&L Legras is a great champagne…so under the radar here in the US.

Great notes Blake, the 08 vintage must have been delicious!

Thanks for this note, Blake. I have a couple socked away. I came to know this producer a couple years ago when a friend popped a '96 St. Vincent, which was astounding; it was one of those every-once-in-a-while bottles that reminds me I really do appreciate good Champagne.

Under the radar AND difficult to source in the US Subu. Thanks to a tip from a friend ITB, I got it at Envoyer who seems to be one if not the only US place to go to.

I fondly remember the '96.

Thanks Brian. Good move on the stash. I can imagine the 96 would be in a place Im referring to when I say hold on to them and open them much later on. I`d love to have that experience.

I stocked Legras for a couple of vintages a while ago. Loved it. Sadly lost access.

Good to know, Blake,

Thanks! I have a few of those.

Enjoy!
Josh

Thanks for this. I still have not touched my bottles (or mags [whistle.gif] ) of the 96. Sounds like I may need to start at least trying the bottles.

Thankful I still have a single bottle of the '96!

Jim, if I make it to the KC area in February as is being discussed presently, perhaps I can bring a bottle. My Jayhawks are not looking like a team I want to make the journey for at this point. TBD

Brian, Joshua, Brad and Dan, please post notes when you open any. I`m in the process of hunting down older, assorted releases and vintages and it would be helpful to me and others who have an interest in this producer. Thanks in advance.

Have you had it recently? I would think it’s time to drink up.

My last bottle was 4 years ago! Been holding this one - I would guess it has a very long life ahead, though my personal experience w Legras is too limited to be worth trusting ; )

The following thread is a few years old, but I remember its brief discussion of 1996 Legras:

Hmmm, interesting notes, thanks. Don’t think I ever saw those. Didn’t take notes on the bottle I opened in 2013, but I did score it… a 91 (not up to par for an $80-$90 bottle in my book)