TN: 2015 Grand Cru Burgs at Vin Vino Wine

2015 GRAND CRU BURGS AT VIN VINO WINE - Vin Vino Wine, Palo Alto, CA (12/5/2017)

Sat down at Vin Vino for a tasting of 2015 Grand Cru Burgs from bottle. The reds were served double-blind, then revealed.

• 2012 Marc Hébrart Champagne Extra Brut Noces de Craies Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne
    Beautiful nose of baked pear and tequila. Then purple fruit and superb balance, within a finish that caves in your face with a godlike bacon glove. (94 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
    A waft of mineral and lime spritz, ending in a burst of pear. Follows on the palate with a rich and silky mouthfeel, with great length. Cream and more pear, with zesty acidity, but a touch too much sour. I have yet to be convinced by a white Burgundy. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Mongeard-Mugneret Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Above the glass you’ll find a fantastically regal purple-fruited cloud of yum. Inside the glass you’ll explore a wonderfully open wine with fractally fine tannin, notes of red soil, and a smart whiplash finish. Some mustard spice lurks in the background. For some reason the whole package is absolutely intoxicating. (96 pts.)
  • 2015 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Le Corton - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
    Forward and open red-fruited aromas with a hint of chocolate. In your mouth there is chunky tannin, blackberry, and BBQ spice, all in a rich coating. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Arlaud Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru
    An interesting tightly-wound nose of licorice and pickled plums. The palate is, in contrast, very open, but very dark-fruited and extremely Gevrey. Not exceptionally complex but inviting, with coarse ripe tannin. (In retrospect, blindingly obvious as a good Charmes-Chambertin.) (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine du Clos de Tart Clos de Tart - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de Tart Grand Cru
    In the air the wine seems a touch reduced, reminding you of pumpkin-spice cake. But then comes a roaring torrent of scintillating bright crystalline tannin that somehow leaves an impression of elegance, bringing with it a melange of Asian spices and dark chocolate. (95 pts.)
  • 2015 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
    Sniff that berry pie made with an inviting combination of pie berries. Accept a strong core of firm tannin that will need time to resolve because of tannins that are firm. Invite a juicy shell of blackberry cream with a long finish because it was a creamy blackberry shell that was juicy. (94 pts.)

I was certainly surprised the Mongeard was my favorite, as I haven’t been terribly impressed by this producer in the past. However, this looks like it could be their year. The CdT was mind-blowing but I’m going to have to think long and hard before shelling out that kind of cash given the competition in a superb vintage like this.

Posted from CellarTracker