Recommendations for an under-cabinet wine fridge?

Hi there,
Brand newbie here.
Wondering if anybody out there LOVES their under-cabinet wine fridge?
U-Line? Subzero? Eurocave? Haier? Anything else?
I see a lot of mixed reviews for all of the above (and many others) online.
But I’m putting in a new kitchen and decided I needed to “treat” myself.
And would love some advice!

We have eurocave units in the basement. For the kitchen which are for short term storage we went with a whirlpool model, very similar to the uline

Interested in budget suggestions for 15-20 bottle capacity.

Similar situation, Reno just ending. But per other thread, I’m not actually sure I need this. One problem is storage of open bottles which SWMBO suggests take up too much space in the 'fridge door. ( 2 or 3 current drinking which should be kept cool and 2 -4 cooking wines which maybe don’t need to be cool).

And regarding daily drinkers or whatever, i really don’t do that I just go to the cellar which is just downstairs in the basement. Yes there is a current section vs keepers but that’s still way more than would fit under counter .

+1 on the Whirlpool model. Pleased with it so far - 2 years and running.

50 bottle Uline here, 14 years in without a hitch.

Sub-Zero 424

+1
champagne.gif -23 years,running well !

I don’t have any recommendations, but in researching this I learned that many or most of the very small units are thermoelectric – i.e., they have no compressor. These may be more energy efficient depending on the environment, but they have no moving parts, which is a plus. Unfortunately, the thermoelectric technology won’t scale up to 40+ bottle units yet.

Here’s an article on the pros and cons.

I have had several wine Refrigerators of all sizes over the years, and for the most part, they do not perform exceedingly well in the long term. The only exception that I have experienced, is the under the counter stainless steel unit manufactured by GE monogram. I have had two, my second one is now on 12 years and still functioning perfectly. I hope I did not jinx myself.

I’ve been happy with the 12 bottle Avanti that I received as a gift a couple years ago.
That’s holds as many bottles of red wine as I need upstairs at any given time. Whites go into the refrigerator.

I bought a 50 bottle Uline at an estate sale about 15 years ago, no idea how old it was then (looks kind of oldish, paid $40!). Husband replaced the thermostat last year and it’s still working great.

We have 2 GE Monogram 55 bottle under counter wine coolers and are very pleased. Quiet! Not the best for oversize bottles but regular pinot bottles are fine. About $1300 at Home Depot

I have a Liebherr but it’s the full size 140 bottle one. It’s been flawless for 7 years going now. Highly recommend it…but it’s pricy.

Interesting article. I think I’ve read elsewhere that thermoelectric cooling is not good for under counter / built in. I’m ok with smaller sizing but I think front vented unit is better for the space.
Architect had recommended a Frigidaire but I’m seeing others on Wayfair at half the price. (I’d have to go back and check the brands). Maybe nickel and dining but not sure how high a priority this is.

1 Like

Are the thermoelectric models cold enough?
Phil Jones

Another vote for GE monogram 55 bottle units. We have 2 and both perform well with no issues over 8 years.

My Avanti keeps 12 bottles at 60F in summer without room air conditioning. If I add one bottle that’s at 70 it works hard for a while.
Vents in the cabinet are on the sides and at the rear so under-counter installation could affect performance.

I have a 120 bottle cooler in my basement which I made myself. It uses a thermoelectric chiller system I designed with cold water circulation instead of air. The cabinet isn’t sealed or well insulated so bottle temps get up to 63 by mid-summer with room temp at 75+.

Looking at smaller 15-20 bottle, 12" wide, built in units. There seem to be two or three brands that look like very similar units. Whynter, New Air, Smith & Hanks, AKDY. I guess you get what you pay for in terms of quality but I’m looking for any feedback on some particular questions:

• preference between those brands
  • noise (we have quiet dishwasher and fridge, will this ruin it all)
  • I’ve seen comments about warranty requiring shipping unit to California or wherever
  • chances of getting a dud right out of the box
    And, is it practical to plan on removing several shelves to allow storage of open bottles? There the silicone caps that I’m told work well for horizontal. Not sure of the best approach.

Hi, I’m a newbie on this forum, but I will be building a new house in few months and also I’m decided to put in the kitchen mini wine cooler because I would like to have favorite wine bottles handy anytime. I came across many web pages and reviews, and I recommend EdgeStar 12 Inch Wide 18 Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler according to this website (http://chilledmind.com/reviews-of-wine-coolers-for-18-bottles/) and Amazon verified user reviews. I think this is the best option for 18 bottles built in wine cooler, but it’s up to you. Thermoelectric wine coolers are wider and need more clearance around for proper cooling. If your fridge can be freestanding than you can save a lot of money.

Same situation adding on to our existing kitchen. We were toying with drawer fridges with an accompanying small wine fridge for daily drinkers and whites/roses. Instead, we’re getting a 30 inch subzero built-in as a second fridge with 2 fridge drawers on the bottom for non alcoholic drinks. The top will be for wine on the door and beer primarily.