Ridge Monte Bello Historic Vines

Got this email from Ridge. Anyone had this or know any more about this? $190 per bottle, limit of 3.

2014 Monte Bello Historic Vines
7 Barrels Produced
Announcing the release of the 2014 Monte Bello Historic Vines. For only the second time, we produced a small bottling from this individual block within the Monte Bello vineyard comprised solely of Cabernet vines planted in 1949. These are the oldest vines on the estate and the sole source for the original vintage of Monte Bello, the1962. Secure your quantities of this extremely limited production wine.

This may help - thread from last year:

There’s also an AG review on Ridge’s website. He scores it 93 points and comments how it wasn’t as good as 2013. Think I’ll pass on this one.

Historic Cabernet Sauvignon vines are very rare and Ridge Monte Bello, in general, tends to age spectacularly from release. I value Galloni’s palate, but I’m in on this one.

Passed on the 2013; imagine I’ll pass here too.

I would think that this is one of those situations that if you are ‘true’ Ridge fan, you’d be in, regardless of what AG or anyone else has to say about the wine. Yep, it’s certainly more expensive than their regular bottling, but still cheaper than many Napa cabs without the pedigree or history.

Can’t wait to read more about this - and other such bottlings they may do.

Cheers.

I tasted it in July and was very impressed. It’s both very reserved and very elegant: closed for inspection, but harmonious, if that makes sense. That makes it a bit less dramatic and impactful than the regular 2014 Monte Bello. At 13.0%, it’s also a touch lower-octane. Looking at my notes, most of my descriptions have to do with the wine’s balance, purity and textural finesse (the tannins are very fine-grained and supple). My intuition is that it will mature into something special with 10+ years in the bottle, but there would be little point purchasing this with the intention of popping-and-pouring on receipt.

Sounds like the 89 Margaux I was fortunate to enjoy out of Magnum on Sunday . . .

Cheers!

Bottle price is really $171 or less as member discount for this member only wine is 10% off.

I actually like it quite a bit more than the '89 Margaux!

I love Monte Bello, and have never tried the Historic vine, but even with the 10% discount, after shipping and tax, it’s still over $190 all in. That’s about $15 per bottle higher than last year, so I’m on the fence.

William, thank you for your note ! I talked to Eric about this wine back in May and it’s good to hear from someone who’s tasted it.

I ordered my 3 and some of the other recent releases to fill up a case. I was pleasantly surprised at the shipping costs - 3 day was $50, 2 day air was $62, and overnight was $66. Even though the shipping window to TX is finally open and 3 day would probably have been fine, I was happy to pay the very modest upcharge to ship next day, especially as we approach the holidays.