Friday night pizza TNs: a trio of Italian wines

• 1990 Prunotto Barolo Cannubi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/8/2017)
    Light translucent ruby in the glass; very interesting nose, with what I can best describe as a medicinal note, plus a nice funkiness in the background.

Focused on the palate, with good supporting acidity and primarily red fruits - good persistence on the finish. No trace of vintage heat or overripe fruit - drinking very well.

I would normally place Prunotto on the modernist side of the Barolo continuum, but I don’t know what their regimen was in 1990, and this wine does not strike me as a modernist Barolo.

• 2010 Fattoria La Gerla Rosso di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (12/8/2017)
    This is a shade or two lighter in the glass than the Castellare CC. Pleasant, if somewhat diffuse, nose.

Light-bodied, with red fruits and decent persistence. I prefer this right now to the Castellare. I generally like La Gerla’s Brunello normale as a decent, true-to-form Brunello available at a fair price. I have found their Rosso to be a little more hit & miss, but this is pretty good.

Sweet & sour red fruits, light-bodied and bordering on dilute - this isn’t bad, but doesn’t strike me as a wine that has enough in the bottle for aging.

Posted from CellarTracker