Will FedEx/UPS ship wine to Hawaii?

It’s been suggested that I should ship some wine in advance of a visit.

If coming from a mainland retailer…yes.

If shipping your own wine, then best to say it’s scuba equipment like I do. [wink.gif]

John,

I get wine here all the time from a variety of retailers. I live on Oahu. It’s just expensive; $6-10/bottle, depending on retailer.

Where you going?

Aloha,
Mark

I suggest getting a solid, thicker styro shipper, tape the bottom with three strips and run tape round the sides of the styro itself for additional reinforcement and check it on the plane as an extra piece of luggage for $50. Do a curbside luggage check-in and let the guy see a tip coming.
You will probably need a luggage cart as some point.
Some airlines may ask you to sign a waiver that it was not professionally packed.
It is probably fairly pricey to ship from NY to HI. You could ask a fav retailer to help you out, especially with some wine from them in the box.
My method should save you $100-$150.

When I just purchase a wine check and bring it with you on the plane? Yes, you may have to pay for a piece of luggage but it’s a lot cheaper than shipping wine over there.

It’s wines from my cellar, not a retailer, and I’m stopping off in California before Hawaii, so I’d have to pay the extra baggage charges twice. And it’s a hassle to schlepp extra bags or a very, very heavy suitcase to and from and through airports three times. Hence my interest in shipping it directly. If I were flying directly there, it would be a no-brainer to take it with me.

Then your best option is to ship your “scuba gear” direct to your final destination in HA. FedEx and UPS both have customer service offices in or very near all the major airports on all the islands.

I regularly ship to KOA and have it arrive the same day I do and just pick it up at FedEx customer service.

Another option would be to have a trusted retailer who knows you ship for you if you want to stay totally legit.

Thanks, Dale.

Totally legit except that it wouldn’t technically be legal because the wines wouldn’t be from a retail source. :slight_smile:

Hence the underlined part.

John - I just mark the box as samples/fragile and I’ve shipped wine cases.

If you do plan to carry it yourself, notwithstanding the fact that it’s a major pain to drag the wine around an airport, I can let you use my Pelican case when you land here so at least you will have wheels.

Because of the problems associated with shipping IMHO your best option is extra luggage; even with the stop in CA. Just rent a luggage buggy at the airport. It will cost you less and it will be a lot more stress free as you will have better control of the shipment.

I do this quite often and find fairly straight forward.

I’m likely going to have to take a cab and then another form of public transportation at one stage, so a case of wine or even a wine carrier on top of my suitcase and a carry-on is not an option. OK?

I don’t think that this works anymore. FedEx has been pushed to stop shipping wines for retail merchants without a Hawaii license. As a result, K&L no longer ships direct to Hawaii. I think the options are to carry it as baggage or ship it yourself but you’d have to say it something other than wine.

how many bottles? you can fit 6 bottles into a non-descript box and just ship it as a regular package…

where are you shipping it to? a hoteL? do hotels receive packages for non-checked in guests?

So this ^^^^

Yes, as long as you have a reservation. It’s also advisable to let the hotel know that a package for you will be delivered and ask them to hold it for your arrival.

Given the difficulties with shipping to TX, I often have wines shipped to a hotel where I’ll be traveling.

Most should. Some charge. Some don’t.

I have several possible destinations to which I can send it, including an office.

I explained above why that’s not an option. If I have to take a cab to the airport here, that adds $50, and if I have to pay for an extra bag on each flight, that’s another $50.

I understand, that’s a lot of money, but shipping a case from California typically costs us over $100. So, price wise, it might not be that different from what you’re talking about.

Yup, What is the cost to ship a case of wine from New York to Hawaii? $150+?

Or ship it ahead to Cali, then carry on plane after that? Cali allows shipments so that leg of it shouldn’t be an issue.

I get the lugging it around sucks, but with the major shippers cracking down on shipping alcohol there’s a sizable risk it may get seized, destroyed, or sent back to NY if discovered during shipping.