A few 1988s and a stunner: Dom P, Pichon Lalande, la Chapelle, Spottswoode , ZH

My buddy was married in 1988 and collects wines from that vintage. He said he was going to open a few for their anniversary, so I dug up my only '88 and headed over.

1988 Dom Perignon. Mature color, some fine beads of bubbles. Nose is baked apple and biscuit. Holding on to some nice acid on the palate. Perfect pairing with the raw oysters. I would say drink up if you own any, good now but hard to imagine much improvement especially if the CO2 dissipates.

1988 Spottswoode - Cork was beautiful, but it had oxidized aromas of molasses. Perhaps it had been cooked at some point in the last 30 years? I bought it a few years ago.

1988 Pichon Lalande. Now we are talking, BDX does something wonderful with age. The cedar and tobacco take the place of whatever fruit was their initially. Smooth tannin, savory finish, not a powerhouse by any means, but an excellent example of how graceful aged wine becomes.

There were only 2 of us really drinking at the table, but we felt like grabbing something else. And I’m glad we did!

1988 Jaboulet Hermitage la Chapelle. Juicy, meaty and hanging on to some dusty tannin.

2002 Zind Humbrecht Pinot Gris VT Clos Windsbuhl. Pinot Gris never excites me. It is fine as a quaffer, but never really stands out or speaks to me. But this was the WOTN. Unreal aromatics of tropical and exotic fruits, honey, spices, herbs and a texture and finish that were unbelievable. I just looked it up and it is only $45 in New York! if you live in the city, that is a no-brainer! It had a dollop of wax over the cork, but under the capsule, which is something I’ve never seen.

[URL=http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/thacrna/media/46B2ABD7-7B29-4104-B76E-CB913A2C5867_zpsgzldish5.jpg.html][/url]

What store is NY is the ZH in? Tks

Chambers Street.

The 1988 Pichon Lalande is in a lovely state now.

Bruce

The 1988 Pichon Lalande is the bottle that got me into wine. Love it.

Glad your Dom and La Chapelle showed well too. I’ve also found those great. The one time I had the '88 Spottswoode it was excellent, but I’ve heard a lot of experiences that have differed from mine.

And if the wine is from the cellar I think it is it should be in very good condition.

1988 Napa Cabernet is tied with 2000 as by far my least favorite vintages that I’ve had several of, on release. 1988 short dry finishes (including 1988 Spottswoode on release), 2000 empty and watery. I know your bottle was oxidised but if it weren’t I would not expect much.