Borgogno Vertical. 8 wines from 1931-1970

Picked up 16 bottles of Borgogno Reserva from an Acker auction. Bottles are all red caps with great fills. Having 2 separate wine tasting with our group, first one this Saturday. . Oldest 1931, 1947, a couple of 50s and 60s and a 70. I plan on double decanting for 10 hours. Prime prime rib will be served as the centerpiece. Champs and still whites before. 77 Taylor and 88 Climens after. Any suggestions. BTW, I have 100% confidence the wines are genuine‼️

Sounds like a lot of air for some ancient wines

Recently opened an assortment of Barolo from the fifties, they all benifited from 10 hours of air. I guess I’m trying to get some experienced opinions.

the 47 definitely could use some air. Delicious wine.

Sorry for soiling your thread with my inexperienced view that 10 hours is a lot of air. I can only imagine your disappointment. After all, the oldest Borgogno barolo I’ve had was a 78. I’m sure there are loads of people here who can clue you in on that 31.

I would double decant for sediment in the am as you are planning, see what they smell like at that point. If they seem sound I’d just reopen the bottles in the pm and leave them open while u enjoy them. Old nebbiolo, as it seeems you have observed, can take a ton of air and often benefits from extended air time. It seems counterintuitive, but too many observations have stopped my fear of extended sir. One example that is consistent with multiple other similar situations: I did a horizontal of the 67 produttori wines this February and did the same as your plan. The bottles were left open during the evening tasting after the am double decant. Most of the bottles had 3-4 ounces left after the tasting. I recorked them after the dinner, probably 6 hours after dinner started I let the recorked near empty bottles sit on the counter overnight I had the last of the bottles the next am with a truffled scrambled eggs (breakfast of champions). As I remember, only one of the 8 or 9 bottles did not show as well as it did the preceding night.

Much more important is to make sure they are upright for preferably weeks ahead of time and be willing to sacrifice a couple-few ounces on the bottom when you double decant to prevent the fine sediment from getting suspended. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I look forward to your notes. Good luck!

+1

Have the bottles standing upright 2 weeks prior. Otherwise, unfortunately, I’d delay the event. Old barolo with zero sediment is a thing of beauty…even a small amt of sediment will negatively affect the wine’s beauty. I agree on the 10 hours of decanting (taste a bit after an hour or two and pour back in the cleaned bottle as needed). Sorry…looks like I’m repeating a point here, but it’s worth repeating. Hope all the bottles are awesome…I’ve had the 47, 52, 58 and several 60’s which were all awesome (I’ve had some duds as well, which happens.

Neil, you didn’t soil my post at all. Thanks for your opinion, really. I. had my own doubts.

Please keep us posted with how it works out. Some friends and I are going to do a similar Borgogno tasting soon. The oldest we have is a 47.

4C92B1B3-81B2-44E8-8462-43F756B77F76.jpeg
I’ve had these 2 bottles of 1947 Borgogno standing for the past 3 weeks. Planning to serve them in another 2 weeks. Any comments on the appearance of the bottles? Red capsules so presumably not reconditioned by the winery. The labels look pretty new. And the Cannubi designation on one? Did Borgogno bottle a variety of wines back then? Fills are between the top of the embossed medallion and the bottom of the upper neck band.

They did a library release of the 47 5-6 years ago. That’s why labels look good.

If you need a taster, someone to hang coats for a taste or just clean up after the event is over for a glass or 2, I’m your guy! Sounds great

The library release of the 47 should have black capsules, not red. These should be original release.

Like me, Neal.Mollen has been on this board since near the very beginning. I continue to be fascinated by the frequency with which people use the wrong spelling of his name when it is only a couple of posts away.

I had a '64 about a year ago and even after 3-4 hours of air it was still needing more and getting better and better. Promised myself that the next bottle that I open will get at least 5-6 hours and then evolve from their during dinner. I’m always surprised by how much air some of these older Barolos need.

Neal, my mistake. Sorry.

16E7F497-B263-4431-ABBC-D4DAF5DCD137.jpeg
852D2FD5-D5E9-42D3-B7A3-D261494B4D22.jpeg