Reputable online retailer for German wines?

I know many of you have your preferred online retailers or auction sites for Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc but are there any that you guys find have consistently good inventory of rare and older vintage German riesling, including GG offerings?

I’ve never ordered from them, but Vinopolis seems to be the new kid on the block:

Vinopolis Wine Shop Online Shopping

And Dee Vine seems to be back in business again _:

**https://www.dvw.com/**_

I would not buy from Dee Vee for older wines. Can’t begin to enumerate the times I’ve had or heard of heat damaged wines in relation to them.

Haven’t bought from them in a while, but Pops on Long Island has been an excellent source.

I think Tom Hill has some good resources.

Crush is great to order from in my experience.

agreed

Nothing new about vinopolis. they have always done a great job. I love ta they show you inventory too.

Agree re DeeVine.
Pops has especially good pricing on TThiese pre-arrivals. And they don’t charge till arrival. Downside is somehow I only get the offer like every other year.
Grapes (N. White Plains- Posner) has sharp pricing on new releases and closeouts, including GGs.
Chambers occasionally gets a great cellar of Riesling if looking for mature stuff.

HDH seems to have good stuff. They keep Salil pretty happy, so can’t be bad.

For “rare and older,” Crush may be the best around NYC. Their website shows a number of pre-1990s wines, as well as many from the early and mid-2000s. They’re very reputable.

K&L might not be as heavy into Germans as some retailers, but they have a very decent inventory, and they are as good as it gets for painless ordering and delivery.

To address the DeeVine issue, I myself have had zero trouble with them. But note that I have never purchased anything prior to the 2005 vintage (and only because I never wanted anything in particular that was older than 2005.) This includes a recent purchase of 2005 and 2008 Auction wines that arrived in pristine shape with spinning capsules etc. I have heard in the past about troubles- so I will not say my experience negates that- but FWIW looking back to the mid 2000s I have been happy.

In NYC Chambers and Crush are excellent resources. I have purchased older Auction wines from both in the past couple of years on more than one occasion. It is worth scrolling both sites every month or so for new offerings.

On the West Coast European Wine Resource is an excellent place to look. The older wines come in less frequently, but they do get them- and this is one of my favorite places. Also, keep an eye on Benchmark- they are starting to deal more and more in Riesling and they often have Auction wines on hand.

Note that shipping with all these places is on the up and up- so you may have to make alternate arrangements (I usually just wait for a business trip and then fly things back on the plane with me) if you are in a non-shipping friendly state.

PS- Just so you all know, those 1989 Egon Muller Kabinett wines listed on the Crush site right now ARE from the Mosel Auction even though they are not listed as such online. I saw the stickers on the bottle necks when I last visited the store and saw them in the cold room.

Some friends and I did a bulk order of Dee Vines auction wines a few years ago and shipped them back to Europe. This was around 2011 for older vintages. They have all been great so far.

1 Like

Looks like from their shipping policy that they don’t ship outside NY state though?

Re dee vine, I know their Storage was terrible when they were on the pier but does anyone know how it is in their new location? I’d love to start buying from them again.

Yes, Vinopolis was my go to for years but they won’t deliver to NY or NJ anymore.

Another post for high marks for Vinopolis. Strong pricing and consistent good service.

Vinopolis for current releases, Crush for current releases and older wines. They’re two of the best. Crush does ship, although probably not to where you live, Brian. Hopefully you have friends or family in a nearby state. You’ll need that to buy from pretty much anyone, though. You probably know that.