TN: 2012 Guillaume Gilles Cornas

Yea another baby, but never having had this wine, wanted to check in on the handful that I grabbed on the Crush sale at a very decent price. I note some folks here have recently been talking this wine up.

Less open-knit than many other 2012 Northern Rhones that I have popped this year. Nose is a bit primary, but gives off that rocky, meaty, dark-fruited sense of Cornas. Fairly large-scaled on the palate, a meaty, chewy, dense wine. Palate-coating dark fruits, some acidic lift from a hint of red fruits. Like liquified granite added in for good measure. The wine has an interesting juxtaposition of polished fruit but underscored with rustic, jagged tannic structure and lots of muscle. A slightly drying, almost bitter clip to the finish with a tinge of herbaceousness. An old-and-new expression of Cornas, think of a hypothetical blend of Voge and early Clape. I can see this wine having broad appeal. It definitely needs time, lots of it. This is a wine for the the Rule of 15.

(92-93 pts.)

This wine really closed down on the second night. Give this wine lots of time.

I think I may have some of this…need to check.

I have a sixer of this that I picked up for $54 per all in, but I am definitely not touching them for a decade or so. Thanks for the note, baby killer.

What’s with the Northern Rhone syrah fix you’re on?? Every night, a new bottle … must be the wife is away. [cheers.gif]

Ha, and yes. She been in a series of national tennis tournaments, so gone quite a bit, including this weekend! I went 2000 Bordeaux last night though. The other part is Fu, he’s texting me like a teenager with a crush, and sorta got me all lathered up thinking and talking about Syrah!

Fu has a man crush…how cute!! flirtysmile

Don’t make me screen shot our text messages. I think you start a good number of them ;p

12/1 5:49am: Robert texts me that I haven’t sent a picture of the wines I drank the night before.
12/2 4:48pm: Robert texts me a photo of a wine and wants me opinion on it if he should buy.
12/3: 2:13pm: Robert texts me a photo of a bottle of juge I sent him.
12/4 3:02pm: Robert texts me that a certain store has upped the pricing on a N. Rhone
12/6 10:46am: Robert sents me a photo
12/6 4:17pm: robert sends me a photo of the 2012 GG cornas as well as a photo of his right calf
12/7 6:46am: sends me a link to WB
12/9 8:28am: I send him a text that I need to buy more Faury vv.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

ME: Robert
Robert’s Son: Sorority girls

Wine Sexting…
Thats a thing now?

Just picked up Mags of 2013 Gilles at $89/per. Great stuff. Worthy of late night wine texts.

And where was that exactly???

I would send you dirty Snaps if you disclosed the source here!

Killer deal.

That’s the “hook”. He’s like putty in my hands, sending me bottles of Juge.

Was at Bassins but now sold out, sadly.