TN: 2014 Domaine de Chevalier (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

2014 Domaine de Chevalier - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (12/1/2017)
– popped and poured –
– tasted a single pour non-blind over approx. 30 – 40 minutes –

Nose was fairly tight, showing some deep cherry aromas and other “earthy dark” elements. Medium bodied on the palate, where it presents with slightly smoky red/purple berries, medium-light oak, and a hint of leathery funk. Alc. not noticeable; not tannic, but it does seem very tightly coiled and packed; very nice; needs time; will buy some for the cellar.

Man, Brian, you’re hitting on a bunch of wines of interest to me. I bought some of this but haven’t opened one of those either. Again, thx

Definitely keep your hands off this one. The Flaccianello, on the other hand, — if you have three of 'em, you might want to enjoy its youthful glory; it’s fairly open.

2014 Domaine de Chevalier - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (6/21/2020)
– decanted 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: dark; earthy; smoldery; dark red fruits; brooding.

BODY: medium bodied; lots of fine particulate matter present.

TASTE: lightly tannic — notably gentle for such a young Bdx.; typical 2014 approachability; oak noticeable, but not obtrusive/distracting/overdone. This was my third time with this wine, and I’ve loved it every time. It’s alluring now, but I like the future even more. Thank goodness my remaining bottles are at off-site, because this is seriously difficult for me to keep my hands off of right now! Sleek, elegant, and powerful — and without being light/thin/underripe. Understated excellence. Not a blockbuster, so unlikely to garner the highest of scores (even I prefer the soaring, rock-solid sky-scraper vintages), but don’t get me wrong: this is solidly excellent. Drink Now through 2040, at least. Note to self: next bottle in 2029. Gut impression score: 94 - 95.

Appreciate the notes. Still waiting to open any of mine, so this is helpful. Also saw your comments on the 2015 Briords too. You clearly have great taste!
[cheers.gif]

Somebody’s surfin’ CT today! I didn’t even bother posting my two Briords TNs ('15 and '17) because they are, imo, too brief to be of much use. But, man, that '15 is reallllly something else!

Opened one bottle of this a while back and promptly buried the rest.

Smart. [cheers.gif]

Oh cool, thanks for the update Brian.

I have four but they are buried. Have not tried one.

Robert,
Try one. You won’t regret it.

Thanks for the note, I bought 6 EP and will follow your advice and wait until 29

Paul,
It’s so good now, seeing as you have 6 bottles, I’d recommend opening one now for assessment and enjoyment purposes. [cheers.gif]