TN: 2016 Château Sainte Anne Bandol Blanc (France, Provence, Bandol)

I have had a couple of other Bandol blancs but this is definitely the best one so far. It was recommended by a very knowledgeable clerk at the Maison des Vins in Bandol and he was right on the money here. The vintage surely has played a part (as it was quite superb for rosés from the southern France) but also stylistically this wine seems to be right up my alley with its composed and savory nature despite coming from a relatively warm climate. We had some freshly baked bread with tapenade and jamon serrano to go with it and the bottle was emptied alarmingly fast - the 13 % ABV just did not slow us down a bit. An easy rebuy for me.

• 2016 Château Sainte Anne Bandol Blanc - France, Provence, Bandol (3.12.2017)
    Restrained yet articulate on the nose with notes of honeydew, herbs, fennel and smoke and a tiniest hint of wood that adds complexity. Perhaps a bit tentative but very pleasant nevertheless. On the palate medium-bodied and firm with just a little bit of warmth. On the neutral side but still terribly attractive with notes of honeydew, lime and herbs. Balances its viscosity very nicely with its refreshing acidity. Markedly minerally and salty. Nothing overly fruity about it, this is very much “just ripe” and all the better for it. A wine of real interest.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love Chateau Ste. Anne and regret the relative lack of availability in the US even though it is fairly easy to get around Bandol and in Provence generally. It was the only estate in Bandol I visited when I was in the area last year. Really great people too. Wonderful relatively high altitude North facing vineyards up in the hills NE of Bandol.

I also liked the white I had that trip—the 2015. I’ll post some pictures if I can figure it out.

6FEA0FA4-77E8-4645-9436-0FD57B5A8DC8.jpeg
3C243322-A0AD-469C-AEF3-03AFC99CF50D.jpeg
21F33675-9D12-4570-8120-DDD38AA4977D.jpeg
95744CD8-E8EA-4AB4-AECF-168B03BE55D8.jpeg
885619D5-FEE0-4F62-9EB7-7FED3813680D.jpeg

Great thread, only ever seen a Blanc when in London.

Any idea if and when this ever gets stateside? Would love to try some. And what is the blend here variety wise?

Cheers.

1 Like

Percy Selections is their W. Coast importer / distributor. You may want to try DomaineLA, Silverlake, Lou or someone along those lines in LA. They poured the blanc (along with their other wines) at RAW LA last month. It was excellent. The blanc is probably their smallest production wine, but I’m sure you could find it down there with a few calls.

You should check out their reds for sure. They are pretty different. They use very little SO2. I find their regular Bandol rouge pretty approachable (within a few years) and their top end (Cuvée Selection?) needs some serious time (usually 100% whole cluster). I’ve tasted with them for the past few years at an event we do together in France. Super people.

1 Like

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/st+anne+bandol+blanc/2015/usa

That 15 Blanc is a different animal. Way more power and much riper. If they can get the '16, try them both.

Also, I always dug the WineTerroirs post on them http://www.wineterroirs.com/2011/08/chateau_sainte_anne_bandol.html

My picture is a bit blurry but the bottle on the left is 2012 Cuvee Collection, which is the top red wine. 2012 is an excellent vintage in Bandol, and all three reds are great.

An anecdote. Louis/Dressner brought the wines in starting in the late 90s or maybe 2000. I bought a single bottle of 1998 Collection after a very memorable tasting of new releases at Joe’s old office on Lafayette in Soho and forgot about it in the cellar.

In fall 2012, a little over a year after Joe passed away, we did a memorial offline in his honor. Lots of good L/D wines there, including 97 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux and Bourg. I brought the 1998 Collection. I had no idea what to expect. I had no experience with aged Château Ste. Anne wines.

I was standing next to Denyse Louis, talking about the wines that night, and how much Joe would have loved them. Amazing array. I asked what she liked the best, and she pointed at the Collection.

http://winedisorder.com/comment/56/6551/

The white is nominally 50% Ugni Blanc and 50% Clairette but I don’t remember if it’s a field blend of the two or not.

They were blinding folks with the '98 Collection from the under table at La Dive 2yrs ago. That is a special wine.

Thanks for the TN and photos, IlkkaL!!!

Hardy, I may have to steal the posted link for the “Mourvedre Appreciation Social Club” Facebook page. :wink:

Very cool to hear about your experiences with this producer, Jayson. Also nice see that their wines are something people are passionate about. Unfortunately I did not end up buying any of their reds but will correct that when returning to the region next summer.

Staying in and working at home these days has given me more time to search past discussions and connect a trip that I was lucky enough to have completed right before the pandemic hit all over.

In early February, my wife and I had a great time with visiting and meeting up with terrific folks that runs this winery. No tasting notes taken, but enjoyed the natural Bandol wines that they uncorked for us to taste.

C52FC707-BC23-41CC-8768-E4715F874670.jpeg

That is awesome, I am very happy for you. I would love to get even your shortest impressions on at least some of the wines if possible!

If i can generalize the rosè (don’t remember vintage tasted) and the white (2018), I was pleasantly surprised of the appealing aromatics that they offered. Especially the white. I’ve had a few natural whites from other producers and I’ve always noted how their smell had veered more towards the agricultural character which often do not appeal to me.

I actually have notes on the 2018 Ch. Ste. Anne Bandol Blanc posted here:

As for the reds, they opened a 2016 Cotes de Provence and a 2013 and 2016 Bandol bottling, as well as a 2016 Bandol Cuvee Collection during the visit. The mixed blend Cotes-de-Provence was fruity light, but with that earthy component that highlighted the natural style. Both 2013 and 2016 Bandol are, as I recall 100% Mouvedre. Clearly a notch above the Cotes-de-Provence in every aspect. I was smitten with the Cuvee Collection’s higher intensity and seeming vin-de-gard qualities that I purchased a couple of 2013/2016 for posterity.

Near the end of the visit, they brought out and opened a sweetish fortified wine that was smooth and nice to finish with. Not sure if the wine was commercially produced or sold.

Good, friendly folks there. Fun visit.

Cool to see this thread back. I have a bottle of the '13 Blanc in my queue that I’m more excited about than ever, thanks all.

I obtained this wine in Oregon via local importer Petit Monde. Highly recommended importer, and Portland wine shops can hook you up.

Cool! I’ve had the red Côtes de Provence once and while I did not find it particularly “natty” I thought it lacked the masculine power and positive roughness the Bandol reds often possess, although surely it is intentional. I’ve never had the Cuvée Collection, need to find some. Sounds like a very fun visit - did you have others and will you be documenting them here? In these hard times it would be most welcome to read more about someone’s good time in Provence :slight_smile:

I unnecessarily over-stressed the natural wine character in Ch. Ste. Anne’s Cotes-de-Provence red. On hindsight, the earthy character simply reminded me that this wine is natural.

Also had a great visit-tasting at Domaine Tempier (OUTSTANDING wines there) and a fun, spur-of-the-moment, drive-by at Chateau de Vauclaire (Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence). I’ll see if I can organize thoughts and photos to be able to post something substantial and meaningful.

Please do! Even just some more photos and a short write-up will be great appreciated. I’m personally a big fan of Tempier despite not having drunk a ton of their wines thus far. Funny enough I have every vintage in the cellar of the basic Rouge 2009-2017 besides 2010 [snort.gif]