TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Mike Evans » December 8th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Jayson, the 1998 CRB Côt may be my wine of the year for 2017. I can't imagine a better Malbec than CRB's, and I certainly haven't had anything that compares.

A S K R O B A C K

#52 Post by A S K R O B A C K » December 8th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Snagged a case and a half of this for $30 per. Very pleased, but I plan to put them to sleep. Thanks for the note, Rob!
d r e w s k r o b a c k

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 8th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Amazing price, Drew! Lucky you. I’d gone much deeper at that price, too.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Steve Brickley » December 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?
I get some from Envoyer every year. Are you not on Greg's list, Alan?

I got some 2010s in the cellar and have been thinking about opening one, giving it air, and then seeing what's there. If I do this, should I be worried that one of you is going to show up at my pad and give me hell? [berserker.gif]
I think I actually introduced Greg to Baudry and Pepiere when I lived there. He was pretty Burgundy-centric at the time. This was at his old spot before Envoyer. Great guy.
Picked up two 1996 Boissee today from Scott & Greg at Envoyer. The CT notes tell me this may be either a mess or wonderful after about an hour. I’ll take my chances.
Steve

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 12th, 2017, 6:29 pm

I’d take that bet! Hope they show well!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Nathan V.

#56 Post by Nathan V. » December 13th, 2017, 8:07 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Amazing price, Drew! Lucky you. I’d gone much deeper at that price, too.
No shit. That's less than my wholesale price.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Jay Miller » December 13th, 2017, 8:15 am

Steve Brickley wrote:
Nathan V. wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:
I get some from Envoyer every year. Are you not on Greg's list, Alan?

I got some 2010s in the cellar and have been thinking about opening one, giving it air, and then seeing what's there. If I do this, should I be worried that one of you is going to show up at my pad and give me hell? [berserker.gif]
I think I actually introduced Greg to Baudry and Pepiere when I lived there. He was pretty Burgundy-centric at the time. This was at his old spot before Envoyer. Great guy.
Picked up two 1996 Boissee today from Scott & Greg at Envoyer. The CT notes tell me this may be either a mess or wonderful after about an hour. I’ll take my chances.
Wow, maybe I should sign back up for their mailing list. It was just too dangerous...
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Nathan V.

#58 Post by Nathan V. » December 13th, 2017, 8:30 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Steve Brickley wrote: Picked up two 1996 Boissee today from Scott & Greg at Envoyer. The CT notes tell me this may be either a mess or wonderful after about an hour. I’ll take my chances.
Wow, maybe I should sign back up for their mailing list. It was just too dangerous...
Yeah, you almost never see older vintages of this offered.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Steve Brickley » December 13th, 2017, 11:25 am

Nathan V. wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:
Steve Brickley wrote: Picked up two 1996 Boissee today from Scott & Greg at Envoyer. The CT notes tell me this may be either a mess or wonderful after about an hour. I’ll take my chances.
Agree, older Baudry Boissee are impossible for me to backfill compared to Couly-Dutheil and Olga Raffault that library release. Got to love that stinky stuff if your nose is in old Chinon.
Steve

J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by J. Singleton » December 16th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Opened the '14 Guillot today. Short version: this is tasty and dirt-wine as f*ck. Bright fruits, and green as an Android text message. Enjoy!
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 16th, 2017, 5:46 pm

J. Singleton wrote:Opened the '14 Guillot today. Short version: this is tasty and dirt-wine as f*ck. Bright fruits, and green as an Android text message. Enjoy!
Agreed, it’s killer. Shows better than croix Boissee and Grezeaux. For now. I ordered more.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by R_Gilbane » December 17th, 2017, 5:30 am

J. Singleton wrote:Opened the '14 Guillot today. Short version: this is tasty and dirt-wine as f*ck. Bright fruits, and green as an Android text message. Enjoy!
Thanks Jeb. Allow me to dive into the long version. This wine definitely increases one’s dirty sex appeal. I had a bottle once while watching Rambo - First Blood and ended up marrying my wife a few years later. She never said her decision was based of the wine I was drinking that day but I know the truth. You can argue against this wine but you’d lose because it’s scientifically proven to awesome.

“You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best.”
-Colonel Trautman
Bobby

J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by J. Singleton » December 17th, 2017, 6:38 am

Having a baby has completely f'ed up.your schedule and given you time, at odd hours, to be introspective. Delightful take on how Baudry brings couples together. Maybe it was just the alcohol. Haha.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#64 Post by Steve Brickley » March 12th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Steve Brickley wrote:
December 13th, 2017, 11:25 am
Nathan V. wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:
Agree, older Baudry Boissee are impossible for me to backfill compared to Couly-Dutheil and Olga Raffault that library release. Got to love that stinky stuff if your nose is in old Chinon.
Ok, this was spot on lovely bottle of 96’ Boissee with a touch of funk, lively fruits, smooooth, no rough edges anywhere, cab franc essence, lovely. I have one more and a string of other vintages.
Steve

A S K R O B A C K

Re: TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#65 Post by A S K R O B A C K » March 13th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
December 4th, 2017, 7:33 am
Funny you mention that, an occurrence similar to your hypothetical actually happened here in Central Florida a few years ago. A fine young man was having a lovely evening with straight liquor and crack. He apparently felt the need to feel the lakeside wind on his back, and proceeded to strip off all of his clothing, but never actually made it into the lake. He decided to take a little snooze on the bank. It was pitch dark, rather late. Later people on the house heard a man screaming and wailing. A friendly eight food gator saw the man, bit onto his upper-arm and torso, and dragged him into the lake. The crack must have given this man incredible energy, as the Gator could not drag him under. The cops showed and two very brave ones jumped into the water and dragged the guy and the Gator up onto the bank. I
Orlando? Must be Thursday. [cheers.gif]
d r e w s k r o b a c k

Return to “Wine Talk”