TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#1 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 3rd, 2017, 6:03 pm

Well, I’m not really a lunar guy, but it sure is purty.... The moon at its perigee, a so-called "Super Moon".

Image

Sitting on the lounge chairs by the lake, leaves susurrating in the wind, the super moon glimmering off the water, a fine French red in my hand. Dogs sitting quietly, restfully, next to me. This is a good moment.

So decry that I popped an incredibly young 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee. But, I always enjoy checking on anything that I buy in quantity. And Baudry is one of those perennial quantity buys. The 2014 Clos Guillot cuvée was gorgeous, the 2014 Les Grezeaux was impenetrable. This cuvée is excellent, perhaps a notch below the Guillot at this point, but damn fine nonetheless. A fragrant red-fruited nose, smoke and earth, with a sense of minerality. The palate is medium-weight, crisp red fruits and some meaty darks. The mid-palate is more watery than I prefer. Chalky, clayish-like tannins, chewy finish.

Not at the level of 2010 but better than any vintage since. I wonder if this is a vintage like 2010 where the other cuvees out-perform. Time will tell.

Overall, Baudry slayed it in 2014.

Image
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on December 16th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Marc Frontario
Posts: 2358
Joined: May 6th, 2010, 4:00 am

The gravitational pull of the moon at its perigee compelled the popping of a young Baudry Chinon

#2 Post by Marc Frontario » December 3rd, 2017, 6:16 pm

luv '14 chinon
Find something you love....and let it kill u

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#3 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 4th, 2017, 5:08 am

This vintage is the real deal for Chinon, very classic in structure, crisp acid, and while the fruit is ripe (ripe red fruit spectrum, most pronounced), it's a leaner profile than the more recent 2015 vintage.
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on December 7th, 2017, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5408
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#4 Post by Markus S » December 4th, 2017, 7:19 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Well, I’m not really a lunar guy, but it sure is purty.... The moon as its perigee, a so-called "Super Moon".
We had the beautiful moon stay with us this morning casting an otherworldly light in the wee hours. Almost never seen anything like it.

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote: Sitting on the lounge chairs by the lake, leaves susurrating in the wind, the super moon glimmering off the water, a fine French red in my hand. Dogs sitting quietly, restfully, next to me. This is a good moment.
Had to look that one up. Cool word. Since this story is taking place in FLA, shouldn't one of the lines read "...until that alligator rose from the pond like an evil swamp creature, causing the dogs into a wolf-like stance and their incessant barking knocking me off the easy chair, spilling my precious nectar."
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#5 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 4th, 2017, 7:33 am

Funny you mention that, an occurrence similar to your hypothetical actually happened here in Central Florida a few years ago. A fine young man was having a lovely evening with straight liquor and crack. He apparently felt the need to feel the lakeside wind on his back, and proceeded to strip off all of his clothing, but never actually made it into the lake. He decided to take a little snooze on the bank. It was pitch dark, rather late. Later people on the house heard a man screaming and wailing. A friendly eight food gator saw the man, bit onto his upper-arm and torso, and dragged him into the lake. The crack must have given this man incredible energy, as the Gator could not drag him under. The cops showed and two very brave ones jumped into the water and dragged the guy and the Gator up onto the bank. I cannot recall what happened to the Gator, but the man did lose his arm. Gracefully for me, I have a 3-foot sea wall from my beach to the upper yard. However, I do recall Victor posting a picture of a Gator climbing a fence, so I will avoid the crack and butt-neked napping while down there.

I also have a vicious guard dog!
Image

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1235
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 10:26 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#6 Post by J. Galang » December 4th, 2017, 11:40 am

Has this wine been released locally already? If my memory is correct this is a Kermit wine right? Been searching for this locally in CA for a couple of months now but nada. Did I miss the boat or is it still coming soon?
Joel Galang

User avatar
JC J o u a s
Posts: 136
Joined: July 29th, 2015, 11:21 am
Location: Sparkill, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#7 Post by JC J o u a s » December 4th, 2017, 11:53 am

J. Galang wrote:Did I miss the boat or is it still coming soon?
‘Twas released via Bowler in the metro NYC area in August
Jean-Christophe

User avatar
G. Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 171
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#8 Post by G. Newman » December 4th, 2017, 1:17 pm

I bought the 2014 in August 2017 (in New York) confirming an earlier post.

I had a separate question regarding the 2010 Croix Boissée that Robert mentioned: any rough sense of its drinking window? John Gilman has the 2009 going from 2016 to 2060! (Easily outliving me). Any thoughts on the longevity profile for the 2010?
G r a y


El que al mundo vino y no toma vino, ¿a qué vino?

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13185
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#9 Post by Jay Miller » December 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm

G. Newman wrote:I bought the 2014 in August 2017 (in New York) confirming an earlier post.

I had a separate question regarding the 2010 Croix Boissée that Robert mentioned: any rough sense of its drinking window? John Gilman has the 2009 going from 2016 to 2060! (Easily outliving me). Any thoughts on the longevity profile for the 2010?
I opened my last 1997 about 2 years ago at which time it was in a beautiful place. I could see it continuing to mature and develop for another 20 years easily though of course the character would shift to become more tertiary. 2010 is at least as good a vintage.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#10 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 4th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
G. Newman wrote:I bought the 2014 in August 2017 (in New York) confirming an earlier post.

I had a separate question regarding the 2010 Croix Boissée that Robert mentioned: any rough sense of its drinking window? John Gilman has the 2009 going from 2016 to 2060! (Easily outliving me). Any thoughts on the longevity profile for the 2010?
I opened my last 1997 about 2 years ago at which time it was in a beautiful place. I could see it continuing to mature and develop for another 20 years easily though of course the character would shift to become more tertiary. 2010 is at least as good a vintage.
Agreed. Think of it how you would a right bank Bordeaux from a structured year, well, like 2010 or 2005. I popped one a few months back, and I think Buecker did a bit more recently, and here are my notes:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135050&p=2160908&hi ... e#p2160908

Coincidentally, I popped it with a 1990 Raffault, which was quite lovely. This 2010 Baudry will go longer and show better than that Raffault. It will go longer than the 2009 (Gilman's 2060 date is a bit generous, but he's the pro, not me). At least that's my country-poke bet.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#11 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 4th, 2017, 3:00 pm

I haven’t touched my 2005 and 2010. 1 bottle of 97 left. It’s too bad backfill opportunities are slim. I’ve had better luck occasionally backfilling Breton.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#12 Post by Ramon C » December 4th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Thanks for the note. I've 4 of these that I split from a case purchase with JC above. I haven't opened, nor do I plan to open one soon. Good to note where it presently stands relative to 2014 Guillot (haven't tasted) and Grezeaux. Although, my experiences with young Boissee rouge from earlier vintages sound like the TN, I also always find them to be in much less-than generous stage than similar vintages of Guillot.

I haven't touched the 2010 in the last 3 years (afaicr), but my take on whether other cuvees of 2010 will out-perform the Boissee is that they will not. I think that the Croix Boissee rouge will still be the more complete wine at some future drinking time.
@brera

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#13 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 4th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Nice thoughts, Ramon. I have also found the Guillot the most approachable of the 3 top cuvees. Too bad their Franc de Pied experiment ultimately succumbed to phylloxera. Was a really cool cuvee, I only have one stinkin bottle left.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 4498
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:39 pm
Location: Springfield, NJ

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#14 Post by Ian Dorin » December 4th, 2017, 5:07 pm

So funny to see you post, I drank one late last week over 3 days, it was truly exceptional. I bought 6, have drank 2. I'll probably let the other 4 go for a really long time.

Super clean and quite full, this should be killer down the road.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#15 Post by Ramon C » December 4th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Nice thoughts, Ramon. I have also found the Guillot the most approachable of the 3 top cuvees. Too bad their Franc de Pied experiment ultimately succumbed to phylloxera. Was a really cool cuvee, I only have one stinkin bottle left.
I would have loved to drink more of Baudry's FdP. My only experience, both highly positive and each was a pour at different dinner-tastings about 3 years ago, was with the 2002 and the 2008.
@brera

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2456
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#16 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » December 6th, 2017, 7:36 am

We need to organize baudryathon at Racines each year and have RA, Salil, and Dr Jura fly up as our honorary members.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#17 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 6th, 2017, 7:54 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:We need to organize baudryathon at Racines each year and have RA, Salil, and Dr Jura fly up as our honorary members.
Yes!

Followed by Northern Rhone night!

Gotta bring my wife though, she loves NYC. Don't worry, she hates our thin, weedy, green stuff. She's happy with a simply Vatan.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17017
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#18 Post by Alan Rath » December 6th, 2017, 9:21 am

Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#19 Post by Ramon C » December 6th, 2017, 11:06 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:We need to organize baudryathon at Racines each year and have RA, Salil, and Dr Jura fly up as our honorary members.
Yes!

Followed by Northern Rhone night!

Gotta bring my wife though, she loves NYC. Don't worry, she hates our thin, weedy, green stuff. She's happy with a simply Vatan.
Or, Northern Rhone night, followed by Baudry's. Whatever order, I'm good.
@brera

Michael Lewis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: June 11th, 2011, 11:05 am
Location: Washington DC

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#20 Post by Michael Lewis » December 6th, 2017, 11:58 am

Oh hey, I guess Faryan means me? I like Baudry a lot even though it does have one fundamental flaw: it's not from the Jura. I could be talked into a Baudry night (or any kind of geek wine night) at Racines.

I think I still have a bottle of 2000 Croix Boissee laying around somewhere...
Michael Lewis
Twitter: @MichaelLewisDC
Instagram: michaellewisdc

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#21 Post by Ramon C » December 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm

I kinda presumed, too, that Faryan was responding to my post and that he meant to include me in the "We".

In any case, Michael, it's about time that we revisit No Rhone or Baudry!
@brera

User avatar
G. Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 171
Joined: May 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#22 Post by G. Newman » December 6th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I'd certainly be willing to sacrifice a 2010 Croix Boisee at a Baudry-theme night.
G r a y


El que al mundo vino y no toma vino, ¿a qué vino?

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13185
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#23 Post by Jay Miller » December 6th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Huh, I just checked what vintages I have and see I still have one 1997 CB. After that, it skips to 2005.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2456
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#24 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » December 6th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Ramon C wrote:I kinda presumed, too, that Faryan was responding to my post and that he meant to include me in the "We".

In any case, Michael, it's about time that we revisit No Rhone or Baudry!
I only singled out the out of towners!

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3121
Joined: January 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Location: seattle

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#25 Post by john stimson » December 6th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Alan Rath wrote:Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?
Seem to be plenty available in Seattle.

User avatar
Chris Kissack
Posts: 303
Joined: July 11th, 2009, 8:51 pm

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#26 Post by Chris Kissack » December 7th, 2017, 2:43 am

The 2014 is great, but I think 2015 has longer legs.

And if you think these two are good, the 2016 tasted from barrel (so not a finished blend) could be phenomenal. One of the most amazing tastes of young Chinon I have ever had.
Chris Kissack

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#27 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 7th, 2017, 4:43 am

Post some notes, Chris! Sounds cool.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5408
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#28 Post by Markus S » December 7th, 2017, 5:07 am

Michael Lewis wrote:Oh hey, I guess Faryan means me? I like Baudry a lot even though it does have one fundamental flaw: it's not from the Jura. I could be talked into a Baudry night (or any kind of geek wine night) at Racines.
"Doctor Jura"??
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2735
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#29 Post by Mike Evans » December 7th, 2017, 5:13 am

Jay Miller wrote:Huh, I just checked what vintages I have and see I still have one 1997 CB. After that, it skips to 2005.
I have a few each of the 1996 and 1997, then skip to 2011. An unfortunate hole in my cellar.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#30 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 7th, 2017, 5:18 am

You guys are lucky to have these older vintages. They were released when it was very difficult to get these types of wines in Florida.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1698
Joined: April 29th, 2009, 11:17 am
Location: Near Philadelphia

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#31 Post by Kevin Porter » December 7th, 2017, 5:35 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:You guys are lucky to have these older vintages. They were released when it was very difficult to get these types of wines in Florida.
Weren't you completely invested in the southern rhone then regardless? (no claims of palate superiority here - I was probably buying Marquis Phillips Shiraz because of the cost/points ratio).

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19232
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#32 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » December 7th, 2017, 5:48 am

Kevin Porter wrote:
Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:You guys are lucky to have these older vintages. They were released when it was very difficult to get these types of wines in Florida.
Weren't you completely invested in the southern rhone then regardless? (no claims of palate superiority here - I was probably buying Marquis Phillips Shiraz because of the cost/points ratio).
Yes, but not to the exclusion of other regions. I'm not sure if is palate shift, warmer vintages, Cambiefication, or a combination of all of them, but no doubt pre-2007 I drank tons of Southern Rhones, especially the yummy Cotes du Rhone for everyday drinking. They were a great value. I bought a lot of Gigondas as well. Some of those vintages, think 2001 and 2004, drank nothing like 2007 or 2009, IMHO. I still really enjoy Pegau 2000 and 2001.

Before the lifting of the shipping ban, you really could not find many Northern Rhones in FL, even though I had been introduced to, and fell in love with, Clape in 1995. You could not find Levet, Juge, Allemand, Jamet, Gonon, etc. Jasmin, occasionally. Guigal and Chapoutier everywhere, but even then, never my style.

Chinon was similar. I was introduced to this region back in 1996, hooked on Raffaults from the 1980s. I could source locally Joguet, Breton, Chatelereuse, so those filled my voids. You could not find Baudry, Rougeard, Plouzeau, Guion, etc. Heck, I never heard of these until I joined the boards.

It will be sad now that the shipping ban is hitting once again. Amazing in 2017.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Nathan V.
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#33 Post by Nathan V. » December 7th, 2017, 7:18 am

john stimson wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?
Seem to be plenty available in Seattle.
Is it Kermit or LDM in Washington state?

When I lived in SoCal, I didn't see much Baudry at all, just a little bit at Hi-Times and not on a consistent basis. Kermit always has it in Berkeley.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nathan V.
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#34 Post by Nathan V. » December 7th, 2017, 7:23 am

Mike Evans wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:Huh, I just checked what vintages I have and see I still have one 1997 CB. After that, it skips to 2005.
I have a few each of the 1996 and 1997, then skip to 2011. An unfortunate hole in my cellar.
The 1996 we had at the Southern Jeebus in 2016 was fantastic but the 1996 Grézeaux may have been even better. I spent the week after Joe's death drinking up a bunch of last bottles of LDM wines as an hommage, that included 1995, 1997-2001 Croix Boissée. I'm now down to 1-2 of all my remaining pre-2005 vintage.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nathan V.
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#35 Post by Nathan V. » December 7th, 2017, 7:29 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
Kevin Porter wrote:
Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:You guys are lucky to have these older vintages. They were released when it was very difficult to get these types of wines in Florida.
Weren't you completely invested in the southern rhone then regardless? (no claims of palate superiority here - I was probably buying Marquis Phillips Shiraz because of the cost/points ratio).
Yes, but not to the exclusion of other regions. I'm not sure if is palate shift, warmer vintages, Cambiefication, or a combination of all of them, but no doubt pre-2007 I drank tons of Southern Rhones, especially the yummy Cotes du Rhone for everyday drinking. They were a great value. I bought a lot of Gigondas as well. Some of those vintages, think 2001 and 2004, drank nothing like 2007 or 2009, IMHO. I still really enjoy Pegau 2000 and 2001.

Before the lifting of the shipping ban, you really could not find many Northern Rhones in FL, even though I had been introduced to, and fell in love with, Clape in 1995. You could not find Levet, Juge, Allemand, Jamet, Gonon, etc. Jasmin, occasionally. Guigal and Chapoutier everywhere, but even then, never my style.

Chinon was similar. I was introduced to this region back in 1996, hooked on Raffaults from the 1980s. I could source locally Joguet, Breton, Chatelereuse, so those filled my voids. You could not find Baudry, Rougeard, Plouzeau, Guion, etc. Heck, I never heard of these until I joined the boards.

It will be sad now that the shipping ban is hitting once again. Amazing in 2017.
In a surprising turn of events, I've been really getting into southern Rhônes (and the Rousillon) the last few years after ignoring them for more than a decade. Eric Texier thought I was an idiot for ignoring the nobility of old vine grenache and poured some stunning Rayas and Gramenon for me on a visit about 5 years ago. Admittedly, I don't buy widely and nothing near Cambie and mostly I'm enjoying "natural" camp producers.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#36 Post by Ramon C » December 7th, 2017, 8:13 am

Markus S wrote:
Michael Lewis wrote:Oh hey, I guess Faryan means me? I like Baudry a lot even though it does have one fundamental flaw: it's not from the Jura. I could be talked into a Baudry night (or any kind of geek wine night) at Racines.
"Doctor Jura"??
Or, simply, Dr. J.
@brera

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3121
Joined: January 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Location: seattle

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#37 Post by john stimson » December 7th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
john stimson wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?
Seem to be plenty available in Seattle.
Is it Kermit or LDM in Washington state?

When I lived in SoCal, I didn't see much Baudry at all, just a little bit at Hi-Times and not on a consistent basis. Kermit always has it in Berkeley.
Kermie.

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7350
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#38 Post by Frank Murray III » December 7th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Alan Rath wrote:Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?
I get some from Envoyer every year. Are you not on Greg's list, Alan?

I got some 2010s in the cellar and have been thinking about opening one, giving it air, and then seeing what's there. If I do this, should I be worried that one of you is going to show up at my pad and give me hell? [berserker.gif]
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17017
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#39 Post by Alan Rath » December 7th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Frank, I did get some from Greg as well. Just saying it's not to be found around the Bay. Though apparently Kermit brings some in. For some reason I just don't see it anywhere.

salilb
Posts: 1764
Joined: August 2nd, 2010, 2:10 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#40 Post by salilb » December 7th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:We need to organize baudryathon at Racines each year and have RA, Salil, and Dr Jura fly up as our honorary members.
I'm game, though you drank my last bottle of the '96 Grezeaux.
B℮n℮gaɭ

Nathan V.
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#41 Post by Nathan V. » December 8th, 2017, 6:32 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:Baudry is a wine that has zero presence on the west coast. You guys are so lucky on the east coast. Did I just say that?
I get some from Envoyer every year. Are you not on Greg's list, Alan?

I got some 2010s in the cellar and have been thinking about opening one, giving it air, and then seeing what's there. If I do this, should I be worried that one of you is going to show up at my pad and give me hell? [berserker.gif]
I think I actually introduced Greg to Baudry and Pepiere when I lived there. He was pretty Burgundy-centric at the time. This was at his old spot before Envoyer. Great guy.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nathan V.
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#42 Post by Nathan V. » December 8th, 2017, 6:33 am

salilb wrote:
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:We need to organize baudryathon at Racines each year and have RA, Salil, and Dr Jura fly up as our honorary members.
I'm game, though you drank my last bottle of the '96 Grezeaux.
Gotta make sure there is no conflict with the Southern Jeeb.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2735
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#43 Post by Mike Evans » December 8th, 2017, 7:32 am

Nathan V. wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:Huh, I just checked what vintages I have and see I still have one 1997 CB. After that, it skips to 2005.
I have a few each of the 1996 and 1997, then skip to 2011. An unfortunate hole in my cellar.
The 1996 we had at the Southern Jeebus in 2016 was fantastic but the 1996 Grézeaux may have been even better. I spent the week after Joe's death drinking up a bunch of last bottles of LDM wines as an hommage, that included 1995, 1997-2001 Croix Boissée. I'm now down to 1-2 of all my remaining pre-2005 vintage.

I'm sorry I missed the Jeebus. The last 1996 Croix Boissée I had about 4 years ago was really surly. A 1996 Grezeaux a few months later was superb, probably the wine of the night at an incredible dinner. A friend who was there mentioned recently that you know it was a great selection when we've almost forgetten that we drank a 1999 Allemand Reynard, but the Baudry, 1995 Robert Denis Touraine-Azay-Le-Rideau Sec, CRB 1999 Côt and Cabernet and 2000 Sauvignon, 1999 Coudert Tardive, 1988 Rousseau CSJ, Overnoy 1993 Poulsard and 1998 Savagnin, 1998 Tue Boeuf Pinot Gris, and 1997 Bongran Cuvée EJ Thevenet will do that to you.

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2456
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#44 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » December 8th, 2017, 8:25 am

96 grez is stunning

Nathan V.
Posts: 1336
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#45 Post by Nathan V. » December 8th, 2017, 8:30 am

Mike Evans wrote:
Nathan V. wrote:
Mike Evans wrote: I have a few each of the 1996 and 1997, then skip to 2011. An unfortunate hole in my cellar.
The 1996 we had at the Southern Jeebus in 2016 was fantastic but the 1996 Grézeaux may have been even better. I spent the week after Joe's death drinking up a bunch of last bottles of LDM wines as an hommage, that included 1995, 1997-2001 Croix Boissée. I'm now down to 1-2 of all my remaining pre-2005 vintage.

I'm sorry I missed the Jeebus. The last 1996 Croix Boissée I had about 4 years ago was really surly. A 1996 Grezeaux a few months later was superb, probably the wine of the night at an incredible dinner. A friend who was there mentioned recently that you know it was a great selection when we've almost forgetten that we drank a 1999 Allemand Reynard, but the Baudry, 1995 Robert Denis Touraine-Azay-Le-Rideau Sec, CRB 1999 Côt and Cabernet and 2000 Sauvignon, 1999 Coudert Tardive, 1988 Rousseau CSJ, Overnoy 1993 Poulsard and 1998 Savagnin, 1998 Tue Boeuf Pinot Gris, and 1997 Bongran Cuvée EJ Thevenet will do that to you.
Save some of that old Bongran to drink with me! 1993 Overnoy Poulsard, now that brings back memories. I still have a bit of the 1999 Côt. Do those Robert Denis wines still exist?
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

salilb
Posts: 1764
Joined: August 2nd, 2010, 2:10 am

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#46 Post by salilb » December 8th, 2017, 11:28 am

Nathan V. wrote:
salilb wrote:
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:We need to organize baudryathon at Racines each year and have RA, Salil, and Dr Jura fly up as our honorary members.
I'm game, though you drank my last bottle of the '96 Grezeaux.
Gotta make sure there is no conflict with the Southern Jeeb.
I'll definitely be down in NC a few times next year. We'll drink Wendouree some point for sure.
B℮n℮gaɭ

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2735
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#47 Post by Mike Evans » December 8th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Nathan, my remaining 1997 Bongran has your name on it and I will eventually make it to Durham to share it. I think Denis died in the late 1990s without anyone in the family to take over the estate.

Most of the group were unfamiliar with the notoriety of the Poulsard, so I gave everyone a fair chance to evaluate it for what was in the glass before performing a dramatic reading of Yaniger's historic tasting note. This bottle had been stored at room temperature since I bought it 15 years earlier, which I think created a good environment for the various microbes to wipe each other out, as it was surprisingly clean and showed pretty well.

Michael Lewis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: June 11th, 2011, 11:05 am
Location: Washington DC

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#48 Post by Michael Lewis » December 8th, 2017, 2:35 pm

The one time I tried 1993 Overnoy Poulsard, Yaniger's tasting note was spot on. But I knew of the note beforehand, and simply got what I expected.
Michael Lewis
Twitter: @MichaelLewisDC
Instagram: michaellewisdc

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#49 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 8th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:
Nathan V. wrote: The 1996 we had at the Southern Jeebus in 2016 was fantastic but the 1996 Grézeaux may have been even better. I spent the week after Joe's death drinking up a bunch of last bottles of LDM wines as an hommage, that included 1995, 1997-2001 Croix Boissée. I'm now down to 1-2 of all my remaining pre-2005 vintage.

I'm sorry I missed the Jeebus. The last 1996 Croix Boissée I had about 4 years ago was really surly. A 1996 Grezeaux a few months later was superb, probably the wine of the night at an incredible dinner. A friend who was there mentioned recently that you know it was a great selection when we've almost forgetten that we drank a 1999 Allemand Reynard, but the Baudry, 1995 Robert Denis Touraine-Azay-Le-Rideau Sec, CRB 1999 Côt and Cabernet and 2000 Sauvignon, 1999 Coudert Tardive, 1988 Rousseau CSJ, Overnoy 1993 Poulsard and 1998 Savagnin, 1998 Tue Boeuf Pinot Gris, and 1997 Bongran Cuvée EJ Thevenet will do that to you.
Save some of that old Bongran to drink with me! 1993 Overnoy Poulsard, now that brings back memories. I still have a bit of the 1999 Côt. Do those Robert Denis wines still exist?
A few in my cellar. But I think Connell still has the bulk of the Denis bottles in North America.

I'll save my last bottle of 97 Bongran for you if you want to make a trip North. But it may be over the hill like the last one we drank a couple months ago. These were bought on release so hopefully the last bottle was an anomaly.

Unfortunately I don't have any Baudry 96s, only a single 97 CB left from the 90s. But I do have Olga and Breton Picasses, among other 96s, for comparison. Gilman was talking about his interest In a mid-90s Loire cab franc thing last time I saw him. I'll inquire again.

My last bottle of CRB cot is the 98. Did they make the greatest Malbec on the planet?!

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1475
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

TN: 2014 Domaine Baudry Chinon Croix Boissee

#50 Post by Jayson Cohen » December 8th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Michael Lewis wrote:The one time I tried 1993 Overnoy Poulsard, Yaniger's tasting note was spot on. But I knew of the note beforehand, and simply got what I expected.
The strange thing about Stuart's note, and I think this was the context, was a number of us had a great bottle together (at La Rochetta in NYC IIRC) that I believe originally prompted Stuart's (in)famous note in reply. But clearly there was, and has been, bottle variation.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”