The Unholy Trinity

Not a good start to a Sunday…

Jadot Montrachet 2002 - there was a brief and faint glimmer of hope when opened. On first look and taste this seemed pristine. After 5 minutes, the colour had darkened significantly and the wine then fell apart. POX !

Roty Griottes Chambertin 1997 - high hopes for this one based upon previous bottles. This reeked of a horse’s backside. It was at least drinkable to those with a higher equine and fecal tolerance than me. BRETT !

Feeling somewhat deflated, I opted for an old favourite to replace the Jadot so opened up a 2008 Clos Rougeard Brézé. This over delivered being both corked and oxidised. Dark brown in colour and as corked as I can remember a wine being, I didn’t dare even taste this. On closer examination, the cork was faulty so perhaps not a classic premox fault. Nevertheless, OXED and CORKED !

Luckily, a 1983 La Chapelle was drinking beautifully, with fully resolved tannins and still heaps of fruit and a 2010 Ramonet Ruchottes was as good as it should be and got better and better over the afternoon.

I have had a lot of disappointment due to POX but you really had a bad day.

You were brave to keep trying. I would have poured a scotch after the second one.

Sometimes there’s just a string of bad wines…I remember once looking at a case of empties in the garage where 7 of the 12 bottles were either cooked, corked, and otherwise flawed. Sorry for your loss.

ox, not pox for a 15 yr old wine. Sorry for your loss(es).