Week 2 - Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Historic Vineyards of Sonoma and Napa

Theme: Wines from Historic Vineyards of Sonoma & Napa Counties
Host: Larry P
Matching donors: Any takers? [cheers.gif]
Date: November 28th - December 5th
Format: $5 per Tasting Note

About the Charity: North Bay Fire Relief Fund

https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

Our hearts go out to those affected by the devastating 2017 North Bay fires. Redwood Credit Union Community Fund, Inc., in partnership with Redwood Credit Union (RCU), The Press Democrat, and Senator Mike McGuire, is now accepting financial donations to assist fire victims and aid relief efforts. 100% of your tax-deductible donations will go directly to support those affected.

Here’s a list of Historic Vineyards

https://www.historicvineyardsociety.org/registry/vineyards.jsp

Edited to add:

Mike Stoneking is matching $5/note for the first 50 notes. Thanks Mike!
Steve Gautier is matching $5/note for the first 50 notes. Thanks Steve!

Looking forward to this. I’ll likely get started tomorrow.

The list seems to be fouled.Here is a cleaner version from the Historic Vineyard Society. Looks like my Carlisle collection is going to take a hit.

Aldo’s
Alegria Vineyard
Alexander Valley Road
Alta Vista Vineyard
Amy’s
Aparicio
Armor Plate
Bacchi Ranch
Bacigalupi
Baldinelli (Dickson)
Barricia
Beatty Ranch
Bechthold
Bedrock
Belloni
Benito Dusi
Berry
Besson
Biagi
Big Break
Big River
Bingham Ranch
Bishofberger
Blasi-Metcalf
Boeger
Bourn Vineyard
Brandlin Ranch
Bridgehead
Burnett
Butler/Slazinski
Carla’s
Carlisle (Pelletti)
Casa Santinamaria/Maggies Reserve
Catfish
Cazas Vineyard
Chaix
Chalone Vineyard
Chauvet
Ciapusci
Coffaro
Collins Family Holystone Vineyard
Colombini
Compagni-Portis
Cortina
Costa Estate
Cox
Craighead Vineyards
Crow Ridge
Cullinane
D&D Ranch
Dal Porto
Dante Dusi Ranch
David Fulton
Deaver (Mission)
Deaver (Zinfandel)
Del Barba
Demostene
DeRose
Dickerson Vineyard
Dina’s (Chelli)
Dolinsek Ranch (Frati Ranch)
Dona Marcelinas
Duarte
DuPratt
Esola
Eva Martinelli Block
Evangelho
Falleri
Fanucchi-Wood
Fava Ranch
Felice Connolly
Field Stone Winery & Vineyard
Forchini (DCV)
Forchini (RRV)
Fox Creek
Fredericks (Weiss)
Frediani
Fredson Ranch
Gaddis
Galleano
Gamba
Gambogi
Gaudi Carli
Ghiradelli
Gibson Ranch
Giovanetti Vineyard
Gold Mine Ranch
Grande
Grandpere
Guadagni
Guglielmo
H M & R Ranch
Hanzell Vineyards
Hartford
Hayne Vineyard
Henderlong Ranch
Herron Vineyard
Heymar/Gobar Ranch
Home Ranch
Hoo Doo Creek
Hooper Vineyard
Hunter Vineyard
Jackass Hill
Jackass Vineyard
Jackse
Jimsomare
JJ Cohn
Justi Creek Vineyards Heritage Block
Katushas’ Vineyard
Kristina
Library
Lily Hill Estate
Limerick Lane Vineyard
Lion Oaks
Live Oak
Lizzie James
Lolonis Family Vineyards & Winery, Inc.
Lopez
Lovau
Lubenko
Luvisi
Lytton Estate
MacDonald/Horton
Maffei Vineyard
Mancini
Maple
Marian’s
Martinelli Road
Massoni
Mattern Ranch
Mazzoni Home Ranch
McElarney and Smith
Mencarini
Mettler
Midway Ranch
Mohr-Fry
Montafi Ranch (Tom Feeney)
Monte Bello
Monte Rosso
Moratto
Morelli Lane
Mori Vineyard
Mule Plane
Ne Cede Malis
Nello Olivo
Nervo Ranch
Nichelini
Nova
Oakville Farmhouse Vineyard
Oat Valley
Old Crane
Old Hill Ranch
Old Kraft
Old School Vineyard
Pacini
Pagani Ranch
Papera Ranch (Carlo’s)
Park Muscatine
Pato Vineyard
Pedroncelli
Perli
Pesenti
Picchetti
Pietra Santa
Piffero
Planchon
Ponzo
Puccini
Puccioni
R.W. Moore
Raboli
Recetti
Redwood Valley
Rinaldi
Robert’s Block
Rochioli Old Block - Jungle
Rocky Top
Rossi Ranch
Rous
Rowe Vineyard
Royal-Tee
Rue Vineyard
Saitone
Salvador
San Lorenzo
Saucelito Canyon
Sausal Ranch Century Vines
Savannah-Chanelle
Scherrer
Schmiedt
Serracino
Shadow Mountain
Shaw
Soberanes Vineyard
Sodini
Soucie
Spinelli
St. Peter’s Church
Stampede Vineyard
Story “Mission”
Stryker
T.C. Vineyard
Talty
Tambellini
Taylor Ranch Vineyard
Teldeschi Ranch
To Kalon (Sauvignon Blanc)
Tofanelli
Tollini
Trentadue Ranch
Tucker/Canard Ranch
Twin Pines
Two Acres
Tzabaco Rancho Vyds
Ueberroth
Under the Mountain
Upton
Valsecchi
Varozza
Vineyard 101
Viola’s Vineyard
Von Weidlich
Wellington
Westside
Westwind
White Oak
Whitton Ranch (Geyserville)
Winberrie
Woodside
York Creek
Zampatti
Zeigler
Zeni
Zichichi
ZinStar

Here’s a couple of shortcut reports for Cellartracker.com that list your cellar by Vineyard for Napa Valley and Sonoma County.

Sonoma County

Napa Valley

If anyone doesn’t have any wines from a historic vineyard and wants to play without spending too much money, I’m not the biggest fan of the store, but Total Wine typically carries several that are under $25. Sobon’s Rocky Top and Fiddlehead (from Lubemko Vineyard), St. Amant Mohr-Fry and Marian, and Puccioni are among the options.

Thank you, Brig - I was hoping for these links when I opened the thread - awesome job.

Excellent kickoff Brig, thanks for the help getting this set up. Now for the hard work:

From Old Hill Ranch last Friday; Will lost a couple structures, and a couple rows of vines. The vineyards make a great firebreak, but there’s a park with fallow land to the North and that caused the fire to encroach on the vineyard. Worse, the scorched hillside you see here, across Hwy. 12, encroached on the Bucklin Family’s Oak Hill Farm. His family lost homes. Quite heartbreaking to see:
_DSC3238.jpg
For the wine, amazing stuff. I highly recommend supporting this winery! Will is a genius of organic farming. The vineyard feels like an alive ecosystem, and it shows in the wine.
24129500_1767419599937444_6492977334345062115_n.jpg

• 2015 Bucklin Ancient Field Blend Old Hill Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/28/2017)
    Picked up from the winery this week; pop-n-pour. Dark ruby garnet color. Nose of brambly red fruits, eucalyptus, and subtle French oak. Very complex on the palate. Strawberry and red raspberry, pepper, black tea. Finishes with strong tannin. Beautiful old-vine goodness now, and a long life ahead.

Posted from CellarTracker

Also, Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs, as well as Ravenswood and Seghesio single-vineyard bottlings are usually available sub-$30 from these stores, and make for a great intro to old-vine zin.

Thanks for the TN and the photo, Larry!

I am sad to hear that Mr Will Bucklin’s family suffered from the fire.

There are several vineyards with a P and R in them. I assume it’s okay to post both in this thread and in yours (both weeks include December 5), it’s for charity after all. I hope to get to my locker to pull a Carlisle Papera and perhaps a Compagni-Portis and double post.

David

2014 Limerick Lane 1023 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/29/2017)
It’s not clear to me how Jake Bilbro manages to make such seamless, integrated wines at 15% alcohol. Deep red fruit, leather, meat and a bright cherry accent on the finish (the touch of Grenache speaking?), this is much too easy to drink. There’s sneaky structure, but I am not sure I can keep my hands off of this to let it develop.
5AB50487-BDC7-4DAD-BA4D-7185F8F6BC7A.jpeg

My choices are pretty limited in my cellar. I don’t see Dommen Ranch on the list, but I believe Mike Officer stated it was planted circa 1930. Would that count, or does it have to be on the list?

It certainly qualifies. Possibly the vineyard isn’t on the HVS list because it’s been replanted, or it’s just an oversight.

Larry, do the old vine Sceales Vineyard Grenache from Wind Gap and Hobo count (planted in the 1930s, IIRC)? No big deal if not, as I have plenty of other qualifying wines, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Certainly, just apply the HVS principle of the majority of vines over 50 years old. The list from HVS is meant as a guideline, not a set of rules. Vineyards are added as they are nominated and approved, but plenty of historic vineyards have not been nominated.

Going to Amador County for my first contribution to this week’s theme.

• 2012 Sobon Estate Zinfandel Fiddletown - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Fiddletown (11/30/2017)
    Jammy brambly fruit with oak contributing a fair bit of spice and vanilla and just a touch of astringency on the finish, it isn’t too serious but is a tasty burger wine. This isn’t a euphemism. It actually worked nicely with cheeseburgers as the savory burger offset some of the fruitiness of the wine. From the Lubenko Vineyard planted around 1910. (87 pts.)
  • 2012 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Dolinsek Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/30/2017)
    PnP. Nose a bit muted than the last bottle but it is all relevant as red fruit abounds on the nose. Palate is darker with blackberry, black cherry and layered raspberry. Finish has lengthened with a touch of spice. Wonderful wine. One of my favorite Bedrock’s year in and a great Wine from a historic vineyard. (94 pts.)

Hey Larry, I will match the first 50 notes ($250).
Love the theme and the cause.
[berserker.gif]

1997 Ravenswood Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/30/2017)
The things you find when you are poking around the wine cellar. I thought I had consumed all the bottles from my six pack, but there was one left, packed in with my Pickberry Bottles. I was prepared for disappointment, as my last bottle, in 2008, was rather nasty and volatile. Well this certainly showed some wild acidity, but it also showed a well developed, leather, bramble and dusty cherry set of aromatics. On the palate it was kind of lean, but the bramble and leather elements came back from the mid-palate. Overall it was not the most rewarding aging experiment, but it was at least a better end to my bottles than the one in 2008.

Mike - that is a great idea.

Larry - I will match up to the first 50 notes as well.