WA new reviewer announced

Post from Lisa today:

"We’re excited to announce the appointment of William Kelley, who will join the reviewer team on January 1st, covering the regions of Burgundy, Chablis, Beaujolais, California Central Coast and Washington State.

During his time at Oxford University studying history at St. John’s College, Kelley served for four years as the president of the Oxford University Wine Circle, the world’s oldest tasting group of its kind. In addition to tastings with the Old World’s greatest producers, he brought many of California’s most celebrated and exciting wineries to Oxford for the first time. Kelley cut his teeth as a taster on many of the great wines of Burgundy of the 1940s, ’50s and ’60s, providing him with a grounding in the classics. Having worked harvests in California and Burgundy, Kelley noted, “I feel my first-hand experiences further inform my writing and criticism with a deeper understanding of viticulture and winemaking”. A former correspondent for the wines of Burgundy for the UK’s Decanter magazine and a contributor for The Robb Report and Noble Rot, William was short-listed for the Louis Roederer Emerging Wine Writer of the Year Award. “I couldn’t be more thrilled assuming this position as a critic for the world’s foremost fine wine guide,” commented Kelley. “To stand alongside the world’s greatest wine critics, led by Robert Parker, is truly an honor and a milestone for me.”

In a Press Release going out today, we will also be announcing that I will take over the coverage of Bordeaux for The Wine Advocate. Both as a longstanding lover of the wines of Bordeaux and as a professional who spent the first half of my career devoted to professionally selling, marketing and purchasing Bordeaux wines, taking on the coverage of this incredible region is without doubt the most exciting moment of my wine journey.

The full Press Release including further details and more news will be published on the Wine Journal section of our website today."

See this thread

Perhaps we should merge into a thread called the WA Revolving Door?

Yes, it does seem to have lots of turnover. It would be nice to go back to the days when Bob was the sole reviewer. His tastes pretty much coincided with mine. Then he added a few more regulars. Now things seem somewhat turbulent.
Phil Jons

Yes, it does seem to have lots of turnover. It would be nice to go back to the days when Bob was the sole reviewer. His tastes pretty much coincided with mine. Then he added a few more regulars. Now things seem somewhat turbulent.
Phil Jones

William posts here and is very informative. He will be a very good addition for burgundy

I doubt he will post here while employed by WA #sixmonthshiatus [berserker.gif]

I have tremendous respect for William’s discerning palate and notes. Seems like a humble and standup guy when I’ve communicated with him. Wishing him the best.

Agreed. I have little interest in Burgundy but usually find William Kelly’s posts here both interesting and informative. Congratulations to him and good luck. From a purely selfish perspective, I hope he continues to contribute here.

Yes, I have always learned a lot from William and appreciate his congenial tone. Doubt he’ll have much time to post, but qui sait?

Too bad they are not having William cover Northern Rhone as well.

Who covers that region (now)?

Congrats, William. I’ve always enjoyed your thoughtful posts and recommendations here, and on Instagram. Best of luck at WA.

Congratulations to William! I have enjoyed reading some of his work.

Robert Alfert Jr. wrote> Too bad they are not having William cover Northern Rhone as well.

Who covers that region (now)?

Joe Czerwinski covers the Northern Rhone, and his first report is due out at the end of December.

Thanks,
Ed

Congratulations to William!

The high staff turnover does seem to indicate management problems but at least they keep finding high quality reviewers willing to come on board.

Not that this means anything, but I am not familiar with Joe and his work.

William is an interesting choice given his pretty obvious traditional bent. I hope he stays active here on WB now that he is rich and famous.

True Dat, Jay. But what they’re really looking for, I think, is famous name writers that will bring along a boost to their subscriber base.
That doesn’t appear to be happening.
Tom

Honestly, I don’t know that I ever read any of his reviews in WE but I’ve met him a number of times and he’s a good guy who knows his stuff.

I agree. And since I know him a bit, I trust his reviews as well. He’s done a few articles on New Zealand and Australian regions too, so has a sense of Syrah from numerous places, as well as experience over many years. I know people liked Jeb’s Rhone Report but Joe probably has a better idea of what’s going on in the world of wine as well as more depth of experience. Plus he has more experience managing a publication than Lisa does, so they should really hand the reins to him.

Don’t know William at all other than what I’ve seen here. Seems like an OK guy, but it’s not like he’s going to move the needle at all in terms of subscriptions or influence. The WA isn’t going to be making anyone’s name these days.

It is interesting however, that with Parker out, he’s given the “main” regions in France back to English critics, which many of them always thought was the way the world ought to be anyway. He himself kind of created the interest in the S. Rhone, so that doesn’t count.

And the Northern Rhone, as well! No one paid any attention to it until Parker started extolling the virtues of the region in the '80s.