2008 Rhys Alpine Chardonnay

2008 Rhys Alpine Chardonnay
Totally ready to go from the minute it is open. This has mellowed nicely and I think it is at, or close to, peak right now. Color has become deeper and more brassy. Melon, flint, acidity and lemon curd dominate the palate. The texture is perfect neither piecing nor lush. Sadly my last bottle.

So its ready to go from a primary standpoint, but not exhibiting mature tertiary notes? Thanks!!

Our recent bottle of 2008 Alpine was spectacular. Lemon, mineral notes. Rich and fresh thanks to perfect ripeness and balancing acidity. Best Rhys Chardonnay I’ve tasted. Renewed my faith after a disappointing 2007 Horseshoe Chard that was sluggish and (prematurely) honeyed despite good storage since release.
Regards,
Peter

Loved this wine the only time I had it a few years ago. It and the 2009 were fantastic for my tastes. Recent vintages have been more variable for me.

Glad to see these notes, as I have been wondering about aged versions of these and Peter’s reference to premature ageing on the 07 Horseshoe as possibly affecting this vintage/vineyard.

I loved this bottle when tasted about 3 or 4 years ago.

Mike

Agree with your note, this wine also held up nicely over 2-3 three days [cheers.gif] .