Good wine lists in San Diego?

Will be staying in SD early next year, in the Mission Bay/Sea World area. Looking for recommendations for good wine in the area (Uber-able distance is fine). Restaurants, wine bars, urban tasting room, whatever! Thanks in advance for all recommendations.

Starlite Lounge: https://www.starlitesandiego.com I highly recommend any fish that Amanda (or any other chef in the kitchen) might be preparing that night. There are always some good Kermit Lynch wines on the wine list. Not long ago, one could drink Raveneau there at low retail prices. $10 Uber ride from where you are staying.

Cucina Urbana: CUCINA urbana | Italian Restaurant in Bankers Hill San Diego 92101 Good variety of good food and several good selections off the wine list for about $10 above retail. $12 Uber ride.

Nate there are a few places and also some BYO places. The Third Corner is a combo wine store and restaurant. You can browse the place for the wine you want with dinner. Nice selection.

For Italian with some CA, go to Solare at Liberty Station. Great people, great food, great service. They’re friends. I can’t recommend them enough. And the owner, Randy, is a real wine guy with connections all over the world. I lived in the area you’re staying in - both places are easy to get to.

If you’re willing to travel into the South Park area, there’s a fun wine bar called The Rose Wine bar on 30th street. They have good food, in a fun but fairly quiet spot, and the list is very interesting. For example, they’ve recently had a Saperavi, Bone Jolly from Edmunds-St John, a Txakolina, Harslevelu, Teroldego, Trollinger, Xynomavro, and Zweigelt – among many others. Nice atmosphere too.

I cannot disagree with the Starlite recommendation from Martin. That too is a nice place, close to downtown, with a solid menu (the chef kicks ass with fish, and the burger too). We’ve had many nice evenings there!

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy your visit.

The Third Corner in Ocean Beach.

This was an enjoyable evening at the bar during my recent SD trip. The wine was a bit better than the pizza that night. Uber under $10 from Northern Gaslamp district.

The Addison and Pampelmousse Grille have 2 of the best lists in San Diego

$75 corkage at Addison. Neither place has wine list on web site. Food excellent at both. 2-3 Michelin star at Addison.

A.R. Valentien (at The Lodge at Torrey Pines) is outstanding. The food, atmosphere and wine list are great. Jeff Jackson (executive chef) and Kelli Crosson (chef de cuisine) are extremely talented.

Cheers!

Colin [cheers.gif]

Addison will email you the current list if you ask. I haven’t eaten there but have seen the list and it’s huge and has some good deals.

+1 to Pamplemousse Grille in Del Mar. Best wine list in San Diego county and probably not that close.

Deals are gone :frowning:. I asked them for a copy of the list this year.

Nine Ten in La Jolla has an excellent list and food. Note/disclaimer…they have my chard on their list (and AV PN in the past), but poured for NT (my pouring time is pretty limited when I’m down there) cuz I love what they do.

…and the whole list is half price on Wednesday. I am also a fan of this place. The list is not large but is well-chosen and I agree that the food is very good.

Jason Knibb is arguably the best chef in San Diego. Nine-Ten’s food is great.

Colin

too bad it’s not on their website.

Heading there in January. Do you know their corkage policy?

I believe Nine Ten’s corkage is $20/b

Thanks all. Booked there and looking forward to it.

I agree Colin. Went there twice during my last trip.